t h i r t y - f i v e

Start from the beginning

And for now, it would suit their purpose.

Bound at the ankles and wrists, each of the five men slumbered peacefully, unaware of their surroundings. Even when they did wake up, it would probably take a few hours for them to get out.

The pit served its purpose well.

Remi shook her head with a slight grin, turning to Killure, who'd already been watching her. "I can't believe Faye is this angry. She didn't even like that lord."

"She would have been a lot more grateful if I killed him after she'd married into his household and inherited most of his riches, land, and title," Killure mused with a gleam in his eyes.

"You're probably right," Remi nodded. "Now all she gets to keep is her engagement ring, and has to play the tedious part of the poor widow whose fiance tragically died."

"I don't find it too tragic," Killure said offhandedly.

"Me neither, to be honest," Remi admitted. A man who would support the massacre of an entire island of people and hurt everyone he touches was not the kind of person Remi wanted walking around the city. In her opinion, the lord's death had saved other lives.

If only there was a way to have dealt with him and his wrongdoings that didn't involve taking his life.

Killure sent her a wicked grin, his sharp canines easily visible. He pulled her close, wrapping one strong arm around her small waist and tangling another in her hair. Though they weren't quite touching, Remi could feel the heat radiating from his body.

Remi froze in surprise, but didn't push him away. Maybe he was over being angry at her.

She wanted to feel his lips on hers, and taste him again. She also just liked being held by him—being this close. He made her heart trip over itself and stutter, and though she knew she needed to be running far, far away from him, she simply couldn't.

And until she looked into his eyes, Remi truly thought he'd forgiven her for her callousness the other day.

But no. His eyes were ice cold, reflecting an arctic tundra void of warmth—the complete opposite of what his actions were seemingly suggesting.

He may have been playing his part, but inwardly, he still must want nothing to do with her.

The thought caused Remi's heart to twist in a way that surprised her. She didn't want Killure touching her simply because he thought that's what she expected of him.

When her eyes met his, he let out a deep chuckle that rumbled through his chest, surprising her. "You might want to know that your father's slave has been walking towards us for quite some time. He'll probably come out of those trees right about . . . now."

Just as he'd predicted, Gulthar emerged from the treeline. His face was just as blank and his eyes just as dull and dead as they always were as he walked towards them.

He bowed to Remi before speaking. "There is a matter of great concern that you must attend to, my lady."

A matter of great concern? Remi frowned in confusion.

"Involving what?" she asked, hoping to get more out of the stony, statue-like man.

"The Council of Shimmering Men," Gulthar divulged. "They have called an emergency meeting, and request that you join them as the head of your household this time."

That came as a chilling shock to Remi. As one of the most wealthy and influential names in the city, the Goldridges had always been apart of the Shimmering Men, along with nine others. Whenever a meeting was called, each member sent the head of their household to represent them and their interests.

Until now, Remi's Uncle Fahrem had always gone for them. But now, they wanted her.

And she was quite sure she knew what it would be about.

"Fine," Remi muttered, shaking her head in annoyance. "Take us to them."

Gulthar paused, almost seeming hesitant. "Excuse me for the contradiction, my lady, but I don't think it would be wise to take the Icix slave with you."

Killure shrugged in response, picking at his claws disinterestedly.

Remi stared him straight in the eye. "For now, they'd assume Killure killed Lord Gallanthus under my orders. If I don't bring him, it will seem like I'm cowering behind my actions. And a coward, I am not."

Gulthar contemplated her words for a moment longer before nodding in agreement. "Very well, then, miss. I will take you to the Council of Shimmering Men."

Remi took his arm and strode boldly alongside him, her eyes set hard in determination.