t.w.e.l.v.e

Remi opened her eyes, surprised to find that she'd been asleep for quite some time. The lake water had become considerably darker through the large glass window, which told her that it was late into the night. She must have fallen asleep in her thoughts while her cousins were talking away.

Remi sat up slowly, water falling from her shoulders and splashing back into the hot springs, water rippling around her.

Upon finding her cousins asleep across from her, their heads laid back against the red stone floor, a grin broke out across Remi's face. Their faces were peaceful, and their eyes were closed.

Killure's deep, silky smooth voice startled her, echoing off the condensation-covered stone walls. "You're awake."

She jumped at the sound of his voice, before chiding herself for being so jumpy.

She took a deep breath to calm her nerves, then turned to him. He was watching her through half-lidded eyes, amusement tilting up of corners of his lips.

"I thought you were asleep," she muttered.

A slow, tantalizing smile spread across his lips as he sat up and leaned in towards her, royal blue eyes peering at her intensely.

His dark curls had straightened out slightly from becoming wet, and droplets of water trailed down his strong neck, dripping below the neckline of his shirt. A light fog shrouded the air around them, but his eyes were as clear and startling as ever.

Remi found herself struggling to hold his gaze, and in a moment of defeat, her eyes fell to where the water droplets had gone. The V-neck of his shirt showed off his strong collarbone, and even through the water Remi could vaguely make out the hard ridges of his chest showing through his tight shirt. She wondered what he would look like without that damned shirt on, and her fingers itched to rip it off. Remi's mouth began to water.

"If I fell asleep, how could I protect you?" He tilted his head to the side and narrowed his royal blue orbs as she snapped her eyes back up to his face. She could smell his enchanting masculine scent of pine and wood, and the mint on his breath.

Remi hid the way her heart missed a beat at his words by laughing and shrugging her shoulders.

She quickly ducked her head beneath the surface, completely submerging herself in the scorching depths of the water. She loved the feel of it against her skin, the way it burned, although she knew that her legs and arms would probably be as red as tomatoes when she finally got out and dried off.

She hovered beneath for a few more seconds, wondering what it was like for the mermaids and sirens, being able to breathe beneath the water and explore the lake's depths to their hearts content. And, for those living in the magic of the ocean, it must be astounding to be able to go wherever you wanted, at almost whatever depth you wanted, exploring things based on your whims and desires. It sounded so freeing.

When she finally ran out of breath, Remi sat back up and breathed in the misty air deeply. It moistened her throat, refreshing her body.

Her bun was sagging and her hair was completely soaked now and dripped water down her back, but she no longer cared. It was worth it, and she could always bathe again later and wash it.

Remi turned to find Killure staring at her, his eyes dark and stormy. "What?" she asked curiously.

He stared for a moment longer before closing his eyes and angling his body away from her. "Nothing, doll."

With his back now to her, Remi noticed high ridges coming a couple inches out of the centre of his upper back, right where his wings normally emerged from, in abnormal, inconsistent arcs. It was as if a bag of bones had been stuffed beneath his skin and sewn back up.