Ticking Clocks

She blinked a couple of times, unsure if her eyes were playing tricks on her. Elladan's hand on her back felt like the only thing keeping her attached to reality. She felt a knot in her stomach, her body suddenly feeling frozen next to Elladan. Lord Elrond was standing right in front of her, in Mirkwood, looking as regal and wise as ever. She could not help but feel small once again as she felt the powerful aura that seemed to surround the Elf-Lord wherever he went.

And yet, the moment his kind silver eyes met hers briefly, a wave of peace washed over her, silver irises easily piercing into hers, so wise and powerful, the knowledge of many millennia concealed in them. She felt safe looking at this familiar renowned figure, and for the first time she realized that she had missed him. The stare only lasted a second, for the Elf-Lord's eyes quickly shifted to look at each of his sons.

"Ada?" Elrohir was the first one to speak, moving at a quick pace to where the Elf-Lord stood. She would have stayed right where she was except for Elladan's hand on her back, which kept her moving as he joined his twin.

"My sons." Lord Elrond's voice was as peaceful and deep as ever, a faint smile appearing on his lips as he greeted his sons. The Elf-Lord opened his arms and received one twin in each of them.

Out of the corner of her eyes she noticed that Legolas had crossed the room in long strides, kneeling in front of the Elvenking. She let her eyes wonder about the room, and for the first time noticed another figure standing unnoticed on the back of the room. Her lips curved up in a small smile at the familiar sight of the golden haired warrior quietly watching his Lord. Glorfindel's eyes met hers, and he nodded his head slightly in greeting. He did not say a single word, but she noticed the faint smile that appeared on his handsome face with the gesture.

"Almarëa." Her eyes turned back to meet the Elf-Lord's kind silver ones at the sound of her name. It felt strange to hear him calling her by that name; after all she had still been Elerrina while in Imladris. A soft smile adorned his ageless face as he nodded his head in greeting.

She felt her smile widen at the gesture, and before she knew it she was also walking into the Elf-Lord's welcoming arms, feeling the rich fabric of his cloak against her cheek. And for a moment, she felt as if she was still in Imladris, under the protection of this powerful Elf. The embrace was brief, just as the other greetings had been. It seemed that no elf in the room was in the mood for long displays of affection at the moment.

The dancing fire seemed to provide no warmth at all, its red flames casting haunting shadows on the elegant study. Even the cool night breeze that entered through the balcony seemed empty, caressing her skin like threating claws, slowly brushing her strands of golden hair, the echo of the trees faintly carried in its cold grasp.

Elladan had returned to her side, one arm loosely wrapped around her shoulders. The Elf-Lord's eyes lowered to her left hand for a second, and she felt her insides twisting with nerves, suddenly very aware of the precious ring she carried on her third finger. Silver eyes lifted from her hand, staring at her for a fragment of a second before turning to look at Elladan, a dark eyebrow arched questioningly. The faintest of smile appeared on the Elf-Lord's face as he stared at his son, so faint that she was not sure if she had imagined it.

Next to her, Elladan nodded his head, answering the question that had never been spoken, a bright smile reflecting the sparkle in his endless silver eyes. All of her nerves vanished suddenly as the Elf-Lord's lips curved up in a wide smile, silver eyes beaming with joy.

"May I?" Lord Elrond's eyes turned to met hers, the smile never leaving his face as he spoke. He held one had out, every movement incredibly gentle and graceful, and she understood in his eyes that he meant to see the ring.