Chapter 10

Andrew's POV

     Ever since receiving that email two weeks ago, I've been dreading going to work. A strange sense of paranoia has settled over me. I find myself looking over my shoulder as I leave in the morning. Whenever my "father" is involved things always go horribly wrong. I smile darkly at the thought. It brings flashbacks to my child hood again. One where he ruined my fourth birthday. He came home heavily intoxicated, and punched the life out of the clown. He thought he was hitting on my mom. Then to make matters worse he puked on my cake.

     I laughed humorlessly at the memory. But my thoughts soon became rather dark as I pull into my reserved parking spot. It was a couple months after my mother's death. He realized I wasn't at my grandmother's and was dead set on finding me. He fled the law for a while. Then suddenly showed up at Jack's door. It was a rather odd and awkward confrontation. Anyhow, I was alone with the sitter and he showed up. I ended getting hit by him before Jack and Claire returned. The sitter was out cold when they stumbled in. Jack and Frank fought but the cops were called. And just like before Frank fled.

     If he's showing up now, he must want something. A fear crippling feeling courses through me. How can he come in just as things are getting good for me. Fuck! I punch the wall of the empty elevator. Just then the door opens and I struggle to compose myself. Walking straight into  my office, I sit at my desk and lay my head on it. There is a lit tapping at the door.

     "Come in." I grumbled, not lifting my head off the desk.

     "Um, sir, are you ok?" Marie, my executive assistant asked hesitantly. Lifting my head, I looked at her and gave her a small smile.

     "Just a little worked up. Nothing a cup of Joe can't fix, can you please get me one?" I looked at her with a slight grimace. Nodding, she left.  I looked at the stack of portfolios before me and sighed. Sometimes being one of the largest firms in the country can be completely overrated. Diving into the stack of papers, I began going over the pre-organized cases. Just the standard divorce, fraud, drug, and rape cases. I used to pale at the thought of these things. Now they've become second hand.

     My door opens and Marie placed a mug before me. I thank her but she has yet to leave. I look up at her with a frown creasing my brow. She looks hesitant about something. Shaking her head as if to clear her head, she clears her throat and begins speaking.

     "There is someone here to see you. He says it is important. I'm not sure whether to send him in or not." She looks like a petulant child that is about to be scolded. Running her fingers through her long black hair, she looks at the door nervously.

     "What is his name?" I say warily. I got an eerie feeling settling in the pit of my stomach that had the hairs on the back of my neck rising.

     "He didn't say. Do I send him in anyway, or should I have security escort him out?" The nervous and frightened look on her face does not waver. I look in my desk drawer for my pistol. Hell there is no way I wouldn't have one with all the psychos out there lusting for revenge after I prosecuted them. Finding it, I look up at her and nod.

    She leaves and seconds later the man enters. He has a tall, stalky build. He would pose as a threat if he didn't look worn down. I instantly tensed when looking at his face. Those cold blue eyes stared daggers into me. It was him. I tightened my grip on my gun. Tension radiated the air between us. It was so thick it was tangible. Not for the slightest second did my gaze waver. I never trusted him and that wasn't about to change. After for the eternity that seemed to pass, he spoke up.

     "Well, is sitting there with a scowl on your face anyway to greet your old man?" He said sarcastically. I narrowed my eyes at his choice of words. He sat down in the seat in front of my desk.