Chapter 41

I loosely pulled back my damp hair as I had just gotten out of the shower. Luke and I just got in from our 'talk' on the beach and neither of us were feeling tired anymore. A shower and some food seemed ideal to both us us so that's just what he had done.

I walked out of the bathroom and into the room we were sharing, finding Luke sitting in the middle of the bed with a bag of popcorn next to him. He peered over to me as I walked in, giving me an easy smile. I sat down next to him with my legs crossed and watched as a few drops of water from his wet hair fell down his face. He leaned into me, which only made my head turn to the side as he tried to kiss me.

"Things aren't fixed because of what just happened." I muttered, looking down at my hands that rested in my lap.

"What do you-"

"I don't mean that in a bad way," I quickly said. "I mean that we know each other's true intentions now." I told him, looking up to him.

He furrowed his eyebrows, "True intentions? Did you think I've been messing around with you for the past 6 months?" He asked, a bit of hurt in his voice.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that." I shook my head as I backed myself up, trying to stay away from sounding rude while trying to get my point across. "I mean that it was a little...misguiding when you said that you were weary to start anything with me." He took my hand in his as I spoke, kind of like a reminder that he wasn't going to get mad.

"That just slipped out, it doesn't mean anything now." He assured me, staring at me with a soft look in his eyes.

"But were you?" I asked, putting emphasis on the 'were'. His mouth fell open as he looked down, but he shut it quickly as he collected what he was going to say.

"Well yeah, a little. It was hard to think about what would happen if something disastrous happened between us. Like i hated knowing that there could be a chance that you'd never want to speak to me and I'd be a homeless bum living in the streets of New York." He cracked a smile at the end, as I did too. He seemed to make everything so easy.

"I get it." I nodded my head, grabbing his other hand and intertwining our fingers. "But that didn't happen, did it?" I questioned, watching as his thumb ran slowly over mine.

"I've got my whole life to mess things up." He laughed.

I picked my head up, "Why do you keep thinking that i'm just going to run away from you?" I softly asked. If anything Luke was too good for me and I think everyone but him realized that. It seemed he did no wrong while I sat and completely messed things up.

"Because you actually did." He reminded me, squeezing my hands gently.

My eyes widened the slightest bit that I really did run away from him. "Okay, wow, yeah I did. I'm an asshole and I'm sorry and I love you." I rushed my words, realizing that I was a huge idiot and even though Luke was being just as hostile, I should've just stopped things there. "I wasn't listening to you and actually taking in what you were saying and I was being so insensitive. I'm so sorry." I sighed, giving him a guilty look as he simply kept his eyes locked with mine.

He shook his head, "Stop apologizing." He whispered, letting go of my hand and bringing it to the side of my face.

"No, I want to. I'm afraid that if I don't you'll hate me forever." I said, grabbing onto his wrist and pulling his hand away.

"I do hate you, that's why you're my best friend." He gave me a sincere smile, one that made it feel like everything that could ever be wrong had just turned right. Like there was nothing bad anymore.

"You always ruin my sentimental girlfriend to boyfriend talks." I giggled as Luke brought our hands up to his lips, kissing the back of my hand to stop himself from laughing as well. I sighed, "But thank you for the reminder that nothing has changed."