Chapter 14

It was 9 in the morning and I was helping Luke get ready to leave as I had promised him when he first told me. Our break had just started yesterday afternoon after we finished our classes, well except for Luke who didn't go to his last class since he claimed he 'needed time to pack up his things' yet here we are now.

Luke looked just as exhausted as I did. Messy hair, sleepy eyes, comfy clothes. School's been kicking our asses lately and this break is a well deserved one. Even after endless hours of studying and endless cups of coffee, nothing seemed to do the trick.

"Will you be fine driving?" I asked, stretching my arms over my head and yawning. He was standing in front of my spot on the couch adjusting a beanie over his head.

"I drove to your house when you called me in the middle of the night to say you were sick when you were home alone." He reminded me. I remember the night very clearly, more of the view of the back of my toilet clearly. But I'd called him since I was freaking out a little since it came on so fast and he showed up without even bothering to put on shoes or a shirt.

"You barely lived a mile from me." I got up from the couch and followed him as he walked to the front door. He had a small suitcase by his feet and a traveling backpack slung over his shoulders.

"I'll be fine." He chuckled, pulling my worried self to his chest. "Don't worry about me." He kissed the top of my head as he always did when he left me alone for more than a day. It was kind of a way of saying 'stay safe' or 'please don't burn the house down.' I couldn't figure it out yet.

I sighed into his shirt just before he pulled back. My light smile had matched his as he yanked out the handle on his suitcase. He adjusted the bag on his back once he opened the door, letting the cold morning air flow into our house.

"See you in 3 days?" He said. I nodded at him as I crossed my arms to warm myself up.

"Try not to miss me." I told him, letting my sarcasm seep through. He shrugged his shoulders once.

"I probably won't." He replied. I grabbed onto the door as he walked out, the only thing between us being the frame of the door.

"Bye, Luke." I gave him a comforting smile, closing the door slowly.

"Bye, Primrose." He called out right before I shut it and I looked back out once to see he was already making his way down the steps.

I closed and locked the door to get rid of the cold breeze that was outside. Even in a big sweatshirt and long pajama pants the upcoming winter season still seemed to get me. I sat back down on the couch, flipping through Netflix to see any movies that I was interested in, even though Luke and I had probably seen all of the good ones.

I gave up after a few minutes on endless scrolling and turned on a classic movie I'd seen a hundred times. I'd only been watching the movie for 10 minutes before I'd already gotten bored. I made my way into the kitchen and grabbed a coffee mug from the cabinet, pouring myself the remaining we had in the coffee pot from when Luke had his earlier.

I was just pouring it when I heard a knock on the door, feeling frazzled since I wasn't expecting anyone this early and also because I didn't exactly look presentable.

"Just a second!" I shouted, putting the pot down and running to my bathroom. I tied my hair in a tighter bun and slipped on the jeans I had lying on my floor. I took one last look in my mirror and rubbed away my smudged eyeliner and ran to my front door.

I opened it swiftly with a warm smile since usually the only people that came this early were here to deliver packages. But my smile faded just as fast as I put it one once I was face to face with Ellis.