Chapter One

If you really love something, you never try to keep it forever. You have to let it be free to change.

••

Clary's POV

"Izzy! I don't want to go to this party!" I say as my best friend looks into my closet for something for me to wear.

"Stop acting like a child, Clarissa." She says and rolls her eyes.

Izzy wants me to go to this event about something that I can't remember.

"Magnus, Alec, Raphael and Thomas will be there with us. Stop complaining and wear this dress." She hands me a long black dress. I put it on. She did my makeup and hair already so I am good to go.

Jace's POV

"Remind me again, why do I need to go to this event?" I ask Alec.

"Because I'm going too and, who knows, maybe you'll find a girl there." Alec tells me.

We get ready and leave my house.

When we arrive at that event, I immediately grab a glass of champagne. Alec is somewhere in the crowd full of lawyers and business man. I look around and a red haired caught my attention. She has a black dress, black high heels and straight long hair but I can't see her fave.

I walk over to her and touch her shoulder. I look at her emerald green eyes that I had seen before. But it couldn't be...

"Clary?" I ask surprised.

Clary's POV

This event is so boring. It's formal and all but I don't even know what it's about. Izzy usually drags me to this things. I already talked to some people but these high heels are starting to hurt my feet.

I look around, looking for someone I know. Izzy said Thomas would come, where is he?

I look for my phone in my little bag and find the ring Jace gave me. I promised myself I'd keep it. I smile at the thought that I actually kept it. After ten years, I still have it.

I snap out of my thoughts when I feel a hand on my shoulder. I turn around to find a paid of golden eyes.

"Clary?" He asks surprised.

"Jace! Oh my god, what are you doing here?" I ask surprised. I didn't know I could find him here.

"Alec dragged me. What about you?" He says.

"Izzy." I say and roll my eyes.

We start talking about everything. Everything has changed since college.

"No, I don't have anyone special in my life. What about you?" Jace asks me.

"Well, I am actually engaged." I say, smiling.

Jace's POV

"I am actually engaged." Clary tells me smiling. I look at her shocked.

"Wow that is amazing. Congratulations." I say and do my best to smile at her. I wasn't expecting this. I knew she had moved on and all but I didn't expect her to be engaged. I mean, she's only 26. She's turning 27 on August. "He is a very lucky guy." I say.

"Yeah, I guess so." She says and looks at the diamond ring in her left hand. She has a sad smile on her face and she is playing with the ring, something she did when she was nervous.

"Is everything okay?" I ask.

"Yeah it's just... I don't know if I should go on with this. But maybe I'm just nervous about the wedding and all that." She says and shakes her head.

"Well, you know, if he hurts you, I'm here to end him." I say and she giggles.

"Thank you but he didn't do anything. He's actually really nice to me." She says and smiles.

"And when am I meeting him?" I tease her and chuckle.

"I think you know him." She says and I look at her confused. "My fiance is..."

"Clary! I've been looking everywhere for you!" Izzy cuts her off. "Hey Jace." She says looking at me and I just smile. She turns back to Clary. "Where were you? I need your help! Simon is here..."

That's all I can hear before they start walking away. I look around for Alec.

"Alec!" I say when I find him. He was talking to some people but then he comes up to me. "Clary is here!"

"I know." He says. "Izzy told me. Did you talk to her?"

"Yeah, we kinda talked. She's engaged." I say. "I really wasn't expecting that since she's only 26..."

"Yeah, I know that. The wedding is next summer, they're coming up with a date." Alec tells me.

"Who is her fiancé anyway?" I ask.

"It's..." Alec starts but then looks at something. I follow his gaze until I see it. No way. Clary couldn't be engaged to him.

Clary's POV

"Izzy, calm down!" I say as we enter the ladies room. "You're with Raphael now. You've moved on and so has Simon." Izzy broke up with Simon after 4 years of dating. He was focusing on his band and he barely had time for her. She thought she deserved better than that and I don't blame her, she deserves someone who's there for her. Raphael and Izzy have been dating for 2 years now and I think it's a good thing, he really seems to love her.

"He's here with another one of his lovers! How
is that okay?!" Izzy almost yells. Ever since the break up, Simon has had a new girl every week. It kinda reminds me of someone I knew.

"You're with Raphael. So calm down." I say.

"Fine. But I'm not going near him." She says and rolls her eyes. I've never stopped talking with Simon and Izzy understands that, I've known him since we were little. But I have also never gotten Izzy and Simon in the same room after they broke up. "By the way, I forgot to tell you that next week I have a fashion show and I need you to be there to support me. My new line has to beat up Marc Jacobs' and I really need my best friend's support." She says.

"Of course I'll be there! I wouldn't miss it for anything." I say. Izzy is a fashion designer. I never miss her fashion shows and she always asks me opinion on her designs. She's been doing great, I'm really proud of her.

"How's the art gallery?" She asks. I have an art gallery in Manhattan. It has always been my dream and I am so happy it came true.

"Normal." I say and we go back to the event.

"Clary." Izzy calls me. I look at her and she points at someone. No way, he couldn't be here. He was supposed to be out.

He looks at me and my smile grows wider. I do my best not to just run in his arms. He slowly comes up to me and kisses me, putting his hands on my waist while mine find his hair.

••

Who is Clary's fiancé? What will Jace's reaction be when he find out who he is? Please vote and comment your opinion! ❤️