NINE

FREE PIZZA

"So what, are you gonna avoid the cafe for the next six weeks?" Keith asks Luke as we sit eating pizza in a restaurant

"Why, you don't like pizza?" Luke retorts.

"I love pizza. But that's not the point" He says.

"Don't you find it a bit strange having Nathan's mom run the cafe?" Luke questions.

"Yeah. It's a little strange. It's also pretty gutsy of her. Dans gotta be giving her a lot of grief about it. You know, Luke and you Adalia, really 'ought to give her a chance. Debs okay, and when you think about it when she got pregnant in college her life changed, a lot like your moms did" He explains.

"Well, doesn't change the fact her son and her husband are asses" I comment before taking a sip of my water.

"Yeah, But Dan? Why does she stay with a guy like that?" Luke asks.

"I don't know. Maybe she wants to protect her son" He says. I watch Brooke walk over to our table and stand behind Luke.

"Hey handsome. Three more chapters and you're all mine" She says to Luke as Keith and I glance confusedly at each other.

"What was that?" I ask Luke with my eyebrows raised.

"Nothing" Luke rolls his eyes and shakes his head at me.

"Well, I disagree. That was definitely something" Keith says and I nod in agreement before we all laugh. I look around the restaurant and see Carter serving a table.

"I'll be right back" I tell Keith and Lucas before walking over to him.

"Hey, I didn't know you worked here" I say and he smiles at me as he wipe his hands off on his apron.

"Well, there's a lot of stuff you don't know about me" He sends me a wink and I laugh as we walk over to the counter.

"Does this mean I get free pizza?" I tease. He laughs as he wipes down a counter.

"Tell you what, you get above an eighty on your geometry test and you and I can come get as many free pizzas as your heart desires" He says and I lightly bite my lip.

"Looks like I'm never getting free pizza" I pout.

"Not with an attitude like that" He points at me with a teasing smile.

"Okay dad" I smile at him.

"I prefer daddy" He winks at me before an old man walks over to him and lightly hits his arm with a clothe.

"Carter, stop flirting and go serve pizza. Your ass is on the clock!" The man sends me a quick wink before I laugh and walk back to Keith and Lucas.

"Thank god. We've been waiting forever for you and Carter to stop flirting" Luke says and I roll my eyes at him.

"We were just talking about my upcoming test" I defend, making him chuckle mockingly.