SEVEN

SMUDGED LIPSTICK

"Okay, you guys, listen up

"Okay, you guys, listen up. Now, you'll all want to pay close attention to this next batch of slides—" Our teacher talks while Carter taps my arm with his pen repeatedly.

"Stop!" I whisper yell to him and he raises his arms in surrender with a smirk plastered on his face.

"You going to the Scotts party, tomorrow?" He asks.

"The Scotts as in my dead beat dad and bitch half brother?" I retort, and his smirk slightly falters when I say I'm not going but it stays on his face.

"You should definitely come. I mean, I'll be there and what's better than that?" He rhetorically asks.

"Getting ran over by a bus" I sarcastically reply and he lets out a small pout. "Kidding. Don't let your ego get too hurt" I joke.

"You're the main reason it gets bruised on the daily" I laugh but stop when half of the class and the teacher glare at me, making me clear my throat and elbow Carter who has a smile on his face.

***

Apparently, Keith, Lucas, and mom decided they wanted to go to the party. So, that's how I ended up in a black lace jumpsuit with heels on. My perfect Saturday night consisting of Netflix, turned into a disaster waiting to happen.

"Hey, guys, maybe we should have a signal. You know, in case one of us wants to leave" Lucas suggests as we get out of the car.

"Maybe we should just leave" Keith replies and I laugh.

"Oh, come on. That's no fun. How about 'caw'!" Luke says.

"'Caw'?" My mom questions with a laugh.

"Yeah, you know, like a raven. Caw!" We all laugh.

"Caw! Oops, looks like we have to leave" I say with fake disappointment in my voice.

"Guess so" Keith says in the same tone.

"Hey, at least try to be happy" My mom scolds us.

"Well, the only reason Lucas is here is because he wants to see Peyton" I tease.

"Shut up, pretty sure Carter is gonna be here" He retorts and I roll my eyes.

"Just my tutor" I mumble as we walk up to the door. "Ready, mom?" I ask as we stand in front of the door.

"Ready as I'll ever be" She responds as I ring the doorbell. "You know, maybe the best plan is just to avoid him all night and then that way—" She's cut off by Dan opening the door with a smile.

"Come on in" He says with a smile while we all stand on the porch in awkward quietness.

"Don't mind if I do" I say as I push past him with a tight smile on my face.