Chapter Fifty Seven : Winner, Winner Chicken Dinner

A/N thank you for 2M reads! this chapters fan shoutout goes to jeremy1016!

"And that marks another win for the Warriors folks!" The announcer's voice echoed through the stands as the crowd cheered. The season was almost over and I was both grateful and bitter about it. I would miss all my team mates that I'd played with during high school but a hopeful thought was that'd I'd still be playing with Dakota and Michael in college.

"Here's your tickets boys. Sell 'em as you see fit." Coach said as he handed each of us a stack full of purple paper tickets as we sat in the change room. "The school will be hosting a dinner next week in celebration of making it to the playoffs, be there or be square." He finished before taking leave.

I packed my gear away, stuffing my tickets in the side of my bag, reminding myself not to forget them there.

"Nice game, fella's." Michael said before slapping my butt including Dakota's. The gesture caught him off guard, making his cheeks flush with embarrassment, a look I enjoyed seeing on him.

"Team effort." I said with a smile and a shrug.

"Great game, honey. You were fantastic!" My mother said as we sat in the car, preparing for the journey home.

"Thanks mom." I smiled from the back seat, staring at her in the mirror as she touched up her makeup. I sighed in content as I stared out the window as we started the drive back home, thinking back to the last time we were in the car together after a game years ago. Two years ago I could barely talk to my mother, and now I felt like I'd missed precious time I could had spent with her.

It was still a mystery as to why she treated me the way she had. Two years ago my father said that I wouldn't understand, that it was better left unsaid but now that I was older I felt like I would. A part of me wanted to ask but the other part didn't want to disturb the peace. Was I just to sweep it under the rug?

After a quick shower and snack, we'd settled in the living room to watch the world's best movie, Sword in the Stone. But no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't stop glancing at my mother. I wanted to know, I deserved to know and if it changed everything back to the way it had been, then so be it.

I cleared my throat and sat up, staring across the room at my parents are they stared back, waiting for me to speak. I could feel my palms getting sweaty and my heart race at the realization that words were spewing out of my mouth.

"Is something wrong with mom?" They paused for a moment, glancing at each other before staring back at me and setting down the bowl of popcorn they were sharing.

"Son." My mother said as she sat down beside me, grabbing my hand in hers.

"I was in a very dark place, I was miserable. I said things to hurt the people I loved the most." Her eyes started to well with tears that I could tell she was holding back.

"I just want you to know, I'm sorry Luka. From the bottom of my heart, I'm sorry." She said as she squeezed my hand. Tears that I couldn't stop spilled down my cheeks like a stream as my mother embraced me and held me tight. I felt a sense of relief inside of me, like another weight had been lifted and I was at peace more that I had ever been.

🏈

"Alright boys, gather round. I just wanted to say, now that the season is coming to an end, that I'm gonna miss ya'll." Coach said with a croak, fighting back tears. I cleared my throat, suppressing a laugh, wanting to take coach seriously.

"Each and every one of you sons of bitches." A tear escaped from his eyes, rolling down his cheek as he took in a sharp breath.

"To coach." Dakota said as he stood up, holding his glass of water.