Chapter Seven : Game Night

"Tonight we're going to kick some ass." Coach said as we gathered our hands together in the centre of our circle. I ignored the fact that he just cursed, who am I to judge? I wondered how he got away with it without ever being reported to the principal.

"For years these asshats have been beating us but not today. No sir." Coach said but more to himself. I had hoped he wouldn't go off on some crazy rant and I was thankful he hadn't.

"Warriors!" Coach yelled along with the others.

I was benched first while Dakota played. He winked at me as he ran by with a huge grin on his face. I chuckled to myself and looked down, feeling a bit of embarrassment; hoping no one else seen. But even if they did, we're just two best friends who are close.

My parents were in the stands with my moms eyes mostly fixed on Dakota throughout the game. My dad had his phone his face, doing important business things. I'm actually surprised he even showed. Right beside them sat Dakotas parent, it's been years since I actually seen them in person. Sure I'd get the usual birthday gift cards and holiday cards, but a few years ago my om told me I wasn't allowed over.

I always went over to his house as a child but my mom suddenly changed her views on Mrs. Moreau and it confused me. They were best friends since college and I always just assumed they had a fall out and would make up. It never happened and Dakota never told me what was going on his end. Even though we're childhood friends, I don't know everything about him just yet.

"Hi Luka!" Queenie waved at me. I ignored her as she came running up to me.

"Dakota is doing great tonight." I ignored her once again. Her voice alone annoyed me and I just wanted her to go away.

"Maybe he'll give me some of his time tonight at the after party instead." She smirked. I scoffed and finally looked in her direction.

"Screw off Queenie." I said with a curt smile.

"See you two tonight." She stood up and winked at me. It's like she knows how to get under someone's skin. Dakota wouldn't even think about touching her. I know that much. And there's no way we are going to that after party even if I have to beg and grovel. Queenie is looking for trouble and I don't want to be the puddy in her hands of whatever game she was playing.

After a close tie, Dakota lead us to another touchdown before the end of the game. I waited for the crowd of people congratulating him to disperse before walking over to him.

"You were great."
"I know."

I nudged him and chuckled.
"Can't you be modest for once."

"I think it would kill me."

"You did good." Mom said behind me, giving me a light pat on the back.
"And Dakota you were amazing out there!" She smiled and gave him a hug.

"Hey hun, wasn't Dakota great?" She asked my dad who still had his eyes fixed on his phone.

"Wonderful, yes." He murmured.

"Thanks Mr and Mrs. De Angelis." He smiled.

"Kota, you did good son." Dakota's dad came up to him and ruffled his hair. His mom only smiled and gave him a pat on the back. She looked different and I don't know what it was but something was off about her that I never noticed before. I opted to ignore it.