Paranoia

*Edward*

Bella had a cycle going for her first week of school. 

She'd go, come home, then sit in her room and when I'd try to talk with her she'd barely say three words to me.

Alice dressed her every morning, much to Bella's hate. 

Plus I was fairly certain that Alice's fashion was making Bella's situation worse.

I was out of my mind with worry. Bella had never acted cold toward any of us, but for a reason she wouldn't share with anyone, she's been withdrawn and quiet.

"Maybe she's being bullied at school, Edward." Rose had said when we'd had a family meeting while Bella was at school. 

Carlisle had the day off so all of us grouped in the living room to discuss what to do about Bella.

"If she was being bullied then why wouldn't she say something to anyone?" Emmett asked.

"Most children are afraid to speak about being bullied and get very depressed." Carlisle said.

"Yes but Bella isn't a child any more and she's not like most others. I am fairly confident that if that was the case here, she would've spoken to me about it." I said.

"For now, I will try to see what I can do. But as you said Edward, Bella isn't like most others, so for this to bother Bella this deeply, it's got to be important." Carlisle had said.

Today was almost the same until I had made another attempt.

I tried again to speak with her.

I opened the door to Bella's room and found her sitting in her computer chair facing the window.

"Bella." I said. 

She turned around and gave me an empty stare. The same one she'd given me all week.

"Yes?" She asked.

"Carlisle would like to see you." I said giving her a sad look as she got up and walked over to me.

But instead of wrapping her arms around me, responding to me or even giving me a look with actual feeling, she just brushed past me.

I suddenly wondered if I was part of her problems.

She'd been avoiding me like the plague all week.

Every time I'd go to the kitchen, even if she was in the middle of a meal, she'd leave immediately. 

If we were both walking down the hall at the same moment she wouldn't look at me, as if I didn't exist.

Carlisle was hoping to try and see what was on her mind and I was also hoping that if she wouldn't respond to me then maybe she would open up to him.

I really didn't have a clue what else to do.

I followed her to Carlisle's office.

She knocked on the door and entered when he called to come in.

"You wanted to see me." She said in that same monotone voice she's had all week, she walked forward to sit in the chair across from his desk. 

I stayed in the back of the room and leaned up against the book shelves, watching.

"Bella I asked you to come in here because every single member of our family is concerned." He started.

She just sat there.

"Bella you know that if something is bothering you, you can talk about it."

Again silence.

"Is school treating you okay? Your not being picked on, are you?"