Chapter 5: Date

It was finally the weekend to meet Reiner at the mall. As he asked, you went to the south entrance. You waited and waited, until you saw him walking towards you. He wore a dark green shirt and dark blue pants. He smiled at you as he walked up.

"Hey, (y/n), having a good day?" He asks you, stopping right in front of you.

"Doing fine..."

"Are you hungry? We can go and get something to eat before we can get the game."

You smiled, "Sure, I don't mind eating something."

"(y/n), do you mind if we get burgers? I'll pay for the both of us."

You give a small laugh, "Heh, you don't have to-"

"O-Of course I should. I mean, I'm the one who came with more than enough money... and I was the one who invited you to come with me to get a stupid game... sorry if I'm rambling... this was a pretty stupid idea..."

"Stupid idea for-"

"N-nothing! I-It's nothing... sorry, this is actually my first time hanging out at the mall, that's not my closest friend..."

"I-It's fine... I feel the same way..." Looking carefully at Reiner, you could see him red in his face, "Anyways... let's go and eat..." You say, hoping that it will get rid of the awkwardness between the both of you.

Reiner nods, "Of course, yeah. Let's go."

*   *   *

On the way towards the food court, you both walked in silence. You could tell that Reiner tried to speak, but he retracted his words he was about to say. It was like that as you went into the crowds of people.

"Hey... come on..." Reiner struggles to say, like he was trying to say certain words to not mess up. "What do you want to eat?"

You thought for a moment, "A burger. Just a double cheeseburger. Oh, and some fries." You cheerfully say. Finally, something to say from the silence.

All Reiner did was smile at you, "Wow... do you think it's fine to eat a cheeseburger for me? I don't think I ever ate one before..."

You started to laugh and he turned red. "Never had a cheeseburger?! Reiner, yes, you need to eat one at least once in your life."

"I-I guess..."

Reiner ordered you your cheeseburger and he had a regular cheeseburger. When you found your seats, you began to eat. Reiner, he started to poke at it... unsure what to do.

"Heh, Reiner, just eat it."

"I-I don't know-"

"You're a pretty fit man, Reiner... a burger won't affect your health or anything. Promise."

He looks at you, "I trust you, (y/n)..." He then eats the burger, "Wow..."

"See?" You smiled at him. "Bet you can eat burgers now, Reiner. Not afraid of them anymore, huh?" You stared to joke with him, making him laugh.

"Naw, I'm not afraid... wait, I was never afraid!" He started to freak out, trying to convince you that he wasn't afraid to eat a cheeseburger. He's different... different than you expected...

*   *   *

After lunch, you guys joked and laughed all the way to the video game store. You felt that... Reiner treated you differently this whole entire time. He revealed a lot of information that a normal person wouldn't know. His best friend was Bertholdt, but he didn't go to this school. Sometimes, he would go easy against Bertholdt's school, just to give him a chance to win. I also didn't know he knew Annie... she's a good martial arts master at our school...

"So, what do you think?" Reiner asks you as you both walked into the store.

You smiled at him, "I... to be honest, I never knew any of those things..."

He laughs, "I thought it was normal for people to know these things, (y/n)."

"No, it's not..."

"Well..." He takes a game off a shelf, but you didn't care to read the game. "I think we're done once I buy this..." He then looks up, disappointed.

"Reiner? What's wrong?"

"Huh? Oh, nothing... It's just... that I... enjoyed hanging out with you. Hopefully, I can do this more with you, (y/n). If you don't mind..."

You smiled at him, "Reiner... I don't mind anything... I loved hanging out with you as well..."

"We better head back, before your parents freak out..."

*   *   *

You waited at the south entrance, with Reiner. He was sighing and he avoided looking at you. He seemed... nervous...

"Reiner-"

"(y/n)... I hope I won't get hit by you or anything... but I do want to ask you something. Bertholdt, Annie, and I were thinking of hanging out at the park, uh, next week. At 1 pm. Do you mind if I take you with me?"

You smiled and laughed, "No... I don't mind. I would love to meet Bertholdt and Annie... after everything you said, it would be nice to meet them and know them a bit better. I can't help but wonder if you put them on a high stand and make them seem... better than they're really are. I know those kinds of people... after all, Annie's pretty much, a loner... and doesn't talk a lot of times..."

Reiner laughs, "Who? Annie? Naw, she's pretty cool. Calm and collected... just don't make her upset or anything."

"Alright... I'll be sure to keep that in mind..."

"Anyways, it was nice to hang out with you... it's something new I never done before..."

"You never asked a girl out on a date? Reiner, I would've thought that you asked plenty of girls before-"

"Yeah... about that..." He scratches his head, nervous about something. "I never did. It was all the other football players... I was the one who didn't want to. Most of the guys played to get girlfriends, and I... well, I played because I wanted to. I wanted to win and feel happy. Nothing about girls and that's why I denied Chelsy... but you... somehow... you changed something..."

"What made you change your mind?"

"I don't know... maybe because you're new at this? Maybe... you just looked out of place? I dunno... why did I started to comfort you that day?"

You rested your arm on his shoulder, he looked at you with eyes filled with glee. "It's fine... I didn't expect to be this close to a football player... especially not me."

"Heh, and why is that? What convinced you to come to the game?"

You sighed, "M-My friends... but they ditched me. I was about to leave... until you came by..."

He leaned in closely... wanting to pull back and regret it, but he was brave... he kept leaning forward. "Well... I'm glad you came to the game... else, we wouldn't be here, right?"

You nod, "Yeah..." Then, you heard the familiar honking noise of your parents' car. You gasped as you turned away, angered. "Why must they-"

"Hey hey hey, (y/n)... it's fine calm down, okay? Go. You'll be fine."

You nod, "Thanks, Reiner..."

As you left towards the car, you see Reiner, hitting the air. But after a while, he looked back. He smiled... you never went on a date before... and you wondered if this is how it felt to be on a date. To breathe heavily? To have your heart beating many times? To forget everything that was around you and let your mind focused on someone? You don't know... but perhaps, you can feel this feeling again... maybe with Reiner.