Chapter 3: First Game Together

You started to warm-up, getting ready to prepare yourself for the long cheering ahead of you. There was a slight chilly breeze, but you didn't mind... if you're gonna sweat and become hot from the energy burst you'll get, then the breeze is gonna help. No clouds up in the sky, just a crescent moon with the stars by its side.

"Hey, (y/n)!" You turned to see Reiner calling you out. Wearing his football gear and his helmet on the side. "You're doing fine?" He asks you, looking right into your eyes.

You nod, "Of course, Reiner... just a bit scared..."

"Scared? Why's that?"

"Well..." You shuffled your feet as you tried to find the right words. "This is the first time that I ever performed, in public..."

He nods, like he understood. He sighed deeply, "A bit of advice, (y/n), try to think that they're not paying attention to you. Focus on your moves and don't pay attention to the crowd... because if you do pay attention, there's a chance that you'll slip up."

"Does it work?"

Reiner laughs, "Of course, I think about it every time when I have a game... that's why I perform so good... and I know that you're gonna be great, (y/n)... trust yourself..."

*   *   *

With that in mind, you listen to Reiner's advice. Everyone faded to the back of your mind, you thought you were looking at a moving poster... you muffled the noises out of your head... all you heard was your heartbeat, beating softly. Before you know it, you finished up and took a break.

You see Reiner playing and you cheered for him. "So... (y/n), the new girl..." You turned around to see Chelsy, the popular cheerleader. Her hair was in a ponytail and always stern. You remember that Chelsy gossips about other people, and how she also liked Reiner. "What made you do cheerleading? After all, you don't belong here..."

"I just wanted to try something new-"

"Thanks to you, my best friend couldn't get onto the team. I wanted her here-"

"Forgive me, Chelsy." You say, standing up, "But I guess I was better than your friend. Stop whatever scheme you're trying to break me with, and leave me alone."

"Just because you have a crush on Reiner doesn't mean that you can have him."

"I don't have a crush on anybody." The coaches in the field started to call a half-time. "Now please, leave me-"

"And what?" She steps close to me; I smell her lavender perfume, the minty breath from her mouth, and feeling the warmth from her body. "What are you going to do about it?"

"Hey!" We all turned to see Reiner walking close to us. He was breathing heavily... looking at me with worry. "(y/n), are you alright?"

You nod your head, "Yeah... I'm fine..."

"What about me, Reiner?" Chelsy asks, holding her head high. "She was bothering me in the first place." 

Reiner shakes his head, "As I saw it, it was the other way around, Chelsy. And no, I'm not taking you out on a date." You hear Chelsy groan in disappointment. In a soft voice, Reiner calls you, "(y/n), I got a few minutes before I get back into the game..."

"S-Sure..." You climb down next to him, ignoring the sweaty smell that was lingering on him. He drank water, wiping the water from his mouth. "Saw you cheering earlier, you took my advice?"

You nod, "Yeah... thanks."

"Heh, it works every time. Glad you listened to me..."

"Yeah, thanks for the advice... and thanks for saving me back there..." You thanked him as he waved it off. 

"(y/n), it was no problem. I know her, and she gets on my nerves so many times... but she isn't a bad cheerleader."

"So... you support her or something?"

"I would, if she would stop hurting other people like that, but I know it will never happen. You're not like them, (y/n)... you're different, and that's pretty cool."

"Braun, let's go!" The coach says.

Reiner just sighed, "We can talk more later on, right? Unless, you're leaving early-"

"No, I'll stay after the game... it takes my parents to pick me up about 20 minutes... I'll just be lonely after the game, Reiner..."

He laughs, "Okay then. Wish me luck..."

"Good luck..." You say as he rushed back onto the field. He said that you were different from the others... you wondered what he meant by that... perhaps you can ask him after the game.

*   *   *

The game finishes, and your school won. You put on a thin jacket and met Reiner by his stuff. 

He looks up at you as he packed his stuff up, "Hey, (y/n)."

"Nice job, Reiner..." You say, walking up to him.

He smiles at you, "Thanks, you too..." He clears his throat, "Well... want me to walk you to the front of the school? That way you're not alone..."

You smiled at him, "Thanks, Reiner..." You both walked to the entrance, waiting for the perfect time to ask him the question that plagued your mind. "Hey, Reiner, can I ask you something?"

He nods, "Of course, what do you want to know?"

"At the half-time... you said that I was different than the other girls..."

"Ah..." He smiles and shakes his head, "It's true that you're different, (y/n)."

"What did you mean by that?"

Reiner sighed and when he looked at you, his eyes just shone as if they were the ocean, "You're a pretty cool person, different in very way that I ever know... I guess that's the reason why I encouraged you to do these things..."

Your parents' car comes by, honking it horn, "What's the reason?"

He looks at you, "Maybe because you're someone that I actually care about..."

"(y/n)! Come on, let's go home!" Your dad shouts at you as you kept looking at Reiner, wanting a direct answer.

"Go, (y/n), I'll be here on Monday... and I can promise you that I'll see you before your class starts..."

And that was the last time you saw him that weekend... what did Reiner mean?