Phone Call

Regina was sitting at her dining room table, taking a sip of her nightly glass of wine, whilst reading a book. This was usually her Saturday night ritual unless Killian had insisted on making her watch the latest football (soccer) game. Killian. She sighed and picked up her phone, dialing the number she knew by heart, calling him for what had to be the sixth time that day. It wasn't like him to ignore her calls and she was worried. She felt another sigh getting ready to pass her lips with each ring but right before it was about to go to his voicemail, she heard the clicking sound of someone picking up the phone.

"Killian."

Regina sat up straighter after hearing his voice through the line and placed the phone between her ear and shoulder as she went to grasp her book and glass. "Killian, where have you been? I've been trying to reach you all day."

"I was out all day on the search of some man with David. Im at the docks now."

Killian spoke with an affection in his voice that she has come to expect when he talks to her. She can't help but smile a little and match his soft tone. "Watching television?"

"No, just, uh... sitting and thinking."

There was a pause in which Regina could hear Killian take a deep breath. She waited, listening to him breathing, wondering if he was going to tell her what was on his mind or if she would have to tease it out of him. Just as she was about to speak, he cleared his throat.

"Look, Gina, I know it's not your inclination but... do you ever just think about all the possibilities in life. Where you are headed. How it all plans out? Worry about the future?"

She can't help but roll her eyes. She should have known. "I used to. A long time ago. But now Killy? Not at at all. I never think about the future anymore. It stresses me out. Besides, why think about the possibilities And worry about them, when you can be happy and focus on the present?"

"Millsy... what are you wearing?"

She laughs at his typical response to her putting him in his place. She knows he is always fearful of the future, always wanting to think of what may happen and try to avoid any negative possibility. But she knows he will never be happy in his present, if he ever thinks about it.

"Your laugh is beautiful."

Killian's's quiet confession gives her a pause. She slowly places her book anf glass on the table and holds the phone in her hand, a very surprised smile on her lips. She is no stranger to compliments but getting them from the one man she actually wants them from always makes her heart skip a beat. His voice was sincere and soft and made her lean back in her chair and look down at her body. She wasn't planning on answering him, afraid that would cross the invisible line they were both terrified of, but those sweet words were making her feel a little generous. "You're flirty tonight." She licks her lips when he laughs. "A black cardigan, matching dress pants, and a red blouse. Pretty sexy, right?" Her sarcasm dripped from every word.

"Very. Now tell me what's going on underneath all that."

"Jones."

"Too much?"

Regina doesn't know how to answer that question. Is it too much? No, it's not. Does she want him? God, yes she does. Should she describe her underwear to a man she technically works with every day? Probably not.