Chapter 2: Welcome To Storybrooke

"My name is Alice," said the woman, seating herself on a stool. The man and the other woman followed suit. Alice gestured to them. "These are my friends, Cyrus and Anastasia. We're from a place called Wonderland."

Granny raised an eyebrow at the familiar name.

"Have you heard of it?" asked the man called Cyrus.

Granny shook her head as Ruby placed plates of hamburgers in front of the new guests. "Not directly; I think there was one person who came from Wonderland--"

"Was his name Will Scarlet?" Anastasia asked quickly. She grabbed Granny's arm with desperate ferocity. "Have you seen Will?"

"He might also go by the Knave of Hearts," offered Alice. "He was with us before we came, but we haven't seen him since we arrived."

The door chime sounded. Ruby gave Belle and Emma a small wave as they exited.

Granny shook her head. "No, I don't know of any Knave or Will Scarlet--the man I'm talking about goes by the name Jefferson."

"Jefferson?" Anastasia brightened at the name. She gripped Alice's arm. "If anybody can get us back to Wonderland, he can! It's the Mad Hatter, Alice!"

"Hatter!" Alice cried. "So this is where he's been all these years!"

"Where can we find this Jefferson?" asked Cyrus.

Granny shrugged. "He's usually down at the Rabbit Hole these days. Poor man hasn't been the same since the Queen poisoned Henry."

"The Queen?" Anastasia gasped.

"Who's Henry?" Alice asked.

"Where is this Rabbit Hole you speak of?" Cyrus inquired.

Granny pointed toward the corner. "Just down the road a ways. You can't miss it."

Alice, Anastasia, and Cyrus stood. "Thank you for your help, Granny and--" Alice nodded toward the young woman next to her, who would very likely fit right in at the Red Queen's palace.

"Oh, Red Riding Hood," the woman supplied. "But most call me Ruby."

Alice blinked, "Like in the stories?"

Granny nodded. "That's why it's called Storybrooke, you know. We're all from the Enchanted Forest, and people of this world think our stories are the made-up ones."

"Curiouser and curiouser!" cried Alice, but Anastasia was already bustling her out the door.

"Yes, fascinating; now let's go save Will!"

>>>>>>>>>

Belle wandered into the library. Ashley (aka Cinderella) stood at the shelves in the front, browsing through some titles for one that would interest her.

"Looking for anything in particular?" Belle asked.

Ashley shook her head, "Well, I just finished a thriller that was so intense, I think I'd need something light and fun to take my mind off the gruesomeness!"

Belle smiled, "I know just the thing!" She pulled out some fantasy-adventure titles that had been her favorites. "There's more on this shelf here."

"Oooh, thanks!" Ashley bent down and scanned the titles.

Belle continued to the back corner of the library, where the familiar thump of a cane told her that Rumplestiltskin was in the back, shelving books.

He looked up when she came around the corner.

"I, er, thought Cin--I mean, Ashley would like some privacy while she was visiting," he defended.