Chapter 6

Mackenzie went with Dante but not before she dictated the living arrangements, for starters they would not be sharing a room, they would only stay at his London apartment a few days a week, so they wouldn't uproot Phoebe too much, especially if they didn't stay on at the end of the summer and there would be absolutely no sex.

 She shivered as she recalled his wolfish grin.

 He opened the door up to his penthouse apartment, she took a few deep breaths before she entered. His penthouse apartment was on the 8th and 9th floors, it overlooked Chelsea embankment and the River Thames, his apartment was open plan living areas with overstuffed chairs and ottomans furnished in the finest fabrics and materials. The sitting room opened up onto the outdoor terrace, she used to love sitting out there when the weather was warm, the first floor also had two of the four bedrooms, all bedrooms have their own bathroom she heard him tell Nora. Kitchen, gym and laundry were also on the first floor, the second floor was the third guest bedroom, master suite and Dante's office, she wouldn't be able to look in the master suite tonight, too many memories from their past relationship were already exploding in her head, she was noticing that the entire apartment was a blend of wood and marble, everything was in neutral colours with just a pop of colour here and there, he must have had someone add the colour, because it wasn't there when she practically lived here before.

 Dante was finishing giving Nora and a very excited Phoebe the grand tour when he called her upstairs, she hesitated before entering his room, the memories starting to crowd her mind.

"We need to discuss sleeping arrangements" he said as he led her further into his room, he could see Mackenzie looked scared about being in his room. "I have put Nora and Phoebe downstairs and you and I will sleep upstairs." She shook her head "No, ma doesn't live with me Dante, she does have her own life, I will stay downstairs with Phoebe or better yet she can stay up here with you"

 He smiled that stupid grin again, that grin could make her knees weak but when he used it like this she knew he was getting his own way. "I have asked Nora to be full time and live with us, and you my sweet wife will stay either in that room behind you or in here with me"

 He was in her space, she could smell his expensive designer cologne, she had to take a step back, she wasn't in the mood to argue, especially with Phoebe in ear shot so she mumbled "Fine, I'll put my stuff in my room." He laughed and replied "Good girl"

"You have staff who cook and clean, even drive you, why did you hire Nora?" she was confused there was no need to do it, Mackenzie was already paying her, more than she ever got from her mother "you trust her"

"Was that a question or a statement Dante"

"Nora raised you and your siblings, she did a fantastic job if you ask me, you trust her to help raise our daughter" he shrugged like it was no big deal. His compliment was a big deal to her.

 It had been a pleasant evening, dinner was great, especially when cooked by someone else, Phoebe went to bed without a fuss, which was even better considering it was a strange room, although Dante had decorated it as close to her own room as possible. It was getting late but she just wasn't tired, she couldn't bring herself to go up the stairs, she couldn't lay there remembering, she drifted out onto the terrace the soft lighting automatically came on along with some music played softly in the background, his apartment really had all the luxuries rich people took for granted, she rolled her eyes, how many women had been seduced by this crap.

 Dante had gone up to his study to return calls and do a bit of work, Nora had retired to her room, even though Mackenzie had practically begged her not to leave her alone, Mackenzie usually would have loved the quiet alone time, this was when she usually sketched or just had some time to think about new lines but her mind was too worked up to draw and her thoughts weren't the best they kept going back to all the times they had shared in this apartment before, she took a deep breath, sat lower in the chair and listened to the music, waiting for it to calm her, to help her escape.

"Dance with me" she felt his hand on her shoulder, she hadn't even heard him approach, she knew this song, it was the song they had danced to at their wedding. Mackenzie went into his arms cautiously, he pulled her in against his chest, she took a deep breath smelling his unique scent and closed her eyes.

 It was her birthday she was turning twenty. Dante had a special surprise planned for her, she was to meet him at his place at seven, no later, he had begged that for once could she please be on time.

 She opened the door to his apartment to find roses everywhere, pink and white bunches filling every surface, their petals lining a path on the floor, she followed the intoxicating aroma to find Dante kneeling in the sitting room, in front of the floor to ceiling windows, he looked strikingly handsome kneeling there in his black tuxedo cut perfectly to fit the shape of his body, she gasped at how beautiful the scene in front of her was.

"Marry me tonight cara" she stepped towards him and without hesitating said "Yes" he picked her up and carried her up the stairs to his master suite "Close your eyes" she did, he opened the door and gently lowered her to the floor, sliding her down the length of him "Open your eyes baby" he kissed her nose and turned her around, she saw it, her dress.

 It was the dress she had designed for her last assignment "My dress" she breathed. It was the only wedding dress she had ever designed and it was the only dress she would have wanted to wear.

 She had spent months getting it right, it was a white a line dress made of tulle and Chantilly lace, the bodice was made entirely of the lace with a sweetheart neckline and cap sleeves, the lace flowed from the bodice into the skirt gradually reducing into strips of long lace.

 It was the perfect dress, winning her recognition with her teachers and even other designers.

"You made a gorgeous dress" she turned to kiss him but he stepped back and smiled "you need to get ready, we get married in an hour and one kiss will never be enough for me" smiling he kissed the inside of her palm then her wrist heading up her arm "Out then" she smiled back.

 Mackenzie looked at herself in the mirror one last time, yes she was ready.

 The dress was even better on, it moulded perfectly to her slim figure. She left her hair loose flowing down her shoulders, her makeup was just the bare essentials, she never liked to wear much.

 She didn't hear Dante enter, she only saw his reflection in the mirror. He just stood there gaping at her "what's wrong" she asked him looking herself over "Nothing, you just took my breath away, you are breathtaking cara" smiling up at him she replied "you too" "This is for you" he opened the box, it had a stunning platinum sapphire and diamond necklace and earring set "It matches your eyes."

 They walked hand in hand back to the windows where a minister was now waiting. Dante couldn't take his eyes off her, this ceremony was for them, they repeated their vows and finally she was his forever. He kissed her with delight knowing that she would forever be his.

 They didn't leave his apartment that night he had organised dinner for two with all their favourite foods, champagne to toast and music to dance to. They danced in front of the window not even noticing the view, they only had eyes for each other. They fed each other whilst sitting on the floor, her favourite thing to do was sit and eat on the floor picnic style, their hands never letting go of each other.

 She felt his thumb brush the tears away "Kenzie please don't cry" she tried to smile "I'm ok really, I was just remembering" "Our Wedding" he finished for her, she looked up at him and nodded "I have never forgotten that night my love" he kissed her brow "It was the most romantic night of my life" she said as she placed her arms around his waist "I would hope so" he said teasingly

 The song had finished but neither of them could part "Dante" she spoke softly, she needed to say it out loud "We need to take all this slowly" I'm scared her eyes were saying to him, he understood for he was a little scared himself, having her back in his life was causing him to feel emotions he hadn't felt in a really long time. Holding her in his arms dancing to their song had been very powerful

"You should get some sleep Mackenzie, it's been a long day" she looked a little relieved, he kissed her hand and led her to her room where he said goodnight to her at her door. If this first night together under one roof was anything to go by, he was going to need a lot of cold showers, he thought as he closed his own bedroom door.