Suddenly I was lifted up by the collar, back to the shop. I didn't need to look to know it was Gobber.

Gobber beamed. "Do you want to kill a dragon? Go! I can handle the forge!" He said hopefully.

"What?! No! I told you years ago I wouldn't kill one!" I said.

"Aw come on! You're the son of Stoick the Vast! You're supposed to kill dragons." I watched as a Viking snatched up the bola. I ignored him and led him to my newest invention.

"This is my new invention Gobber!" I patted my machine when suddenly it reacted and flung a bola out the window. An unfortunate Viking didn't dodge, getting hit on the head, falling to the ground.

Before I could mutter a sorry, Gobber scolded me. "See, now this right here is what I'm talking about!"

"Mild calibration issue-"

"Don't you- Hiccup, your wasting all your inner talents on inventing?!" Gobber asked, shocked.

I rolled my eyes, unimpressed. "Gobber, I don't wanna fight dragons!"

Gobber sighed, "Ohhhh....." I replied with the same, "Ohhh, yes."

"You sir, are playing a dangerous game. Keeping this much, raw... Viking-ness... contained? THERE WILL BE CONSEQUENCES!" Gobber glared.

"I'll take my chances."

I'll never get out there. Even if killing a dragon is everything around here.

A Nadder head is sure to get me at least noticed. Gronckles are tough. Taking down one of those would definitely get me a girlfriend. A Zippleback? Exotic. Two heads, twice the status.

And then, there's the Monstrous Nightmare. Only the best Vikings go after those. They have this nasty habit of setting themselves on fire.

But the ultimate prize is the dragon no one has ever seen. We call it the-

Viking: NIGHT FURY!

Viking: GET DOWN!

I stopped sharpening my sword and look out for my favorite thing in a dragon raid. I smiled, hearing the all too familiar screeching whistle-like sound.

Out of nowhere, a catapult is destroyed. And the outline of a black dragon was seen.

This thing never steals food, never shows itself, and... never misses. No one has ever killed a Night Fury. And I'm gonna try to keep it that way.

Gobber stops and, "Man the fort Hiccup! They need me out there!"

I waved and continued to work, trying not to cringe as a dragon got hit. Unfortunately, I didn't notice my new invention was gone.

I sharpened weapon out of weapon thinking about the Night Fury. I reached for my pocket, and took out a necklace. But this was no ordinary necklace. I smiled, rubbing the midnight black scale that was attached to the string at the bottom.

That's right, it was a Night Fury scale.

I found it the day.... my mother died.

Also the day I found out that everything Vikings knew about Dragons was wrong. Dragons were intelligent, feeling and alive beings just like Vikings. If it was wrong, I would be dead by now.

I closed my eyes, remembering the Night Fury scooping me in his paws before I hit the ocean that night.

"OI! USELESS!" I snapped my eyes open, shoving the necklace back in my pocket. I turned to see my cousin Snotlout.

"You shouldn't be distracted Useless." Snotlout sneered. "Wonder how many lives were taken just because you aren't fixing our weapons quick enough!" I sighed, taking his axe from him.

So many people in Berk have been bullying me ever since I started to walk. Snotlout was the worst out of all of them! And he's my cousin!

"Better be careful Useless," Snotlout glared, "My father gave me that. Pfft! I bet you haven't even had a single present from your father yet!"

I tightened my grip on his axe, walking over to him, my face downcast.

Snotlout snatched the axe from me, "Now I have to clean it. Since you dirty hands sharpened it. But, knowing how useless you are, it's probably even worse!"

I looked down as he left. Tears began to form in my eyes.

Suddenly I heard a shriek in the distance. I stared at the black shape falling from the sky.

I gasped, someone shot a Night Fury?! But he was miled from the ground! How-?

Mangler.

Gobber must have shot it! I scanned the ground for Gobber. I saw him staring at a captured Nadder with the Mangler in front of him.

He doesn't realise he shot a Night Fury!

I ran.

Please be safe!