Blue eyed Lieutenant

Authors note: Some of this chapter is written in the first person so I could get across her feelings, I might do a few more bits like that but if you don't like it leave a comment.

Nikki POV
Today symbolises two weeks since I ran away and started sleeping on the street, you sort of get used to it after a few days. Only problem is I don't know what I'm going to do in the winter but I have plenty of time to work that out. Sitting up from my bed I grabbed all my stuff and put it in my backpack before getting up and going for a quick walk.
"Hey Nikki." One of the other women said as I walked past.
"Hey Carol." I replied with a smile, the people out here are more of a family to me than mine ever were.

"I'm not taking that little girl of yours to a stupid fucking soccer game." My 'dad' shouted as I lowered myself onto a step, praying that my little brother didn't wake up.
"You don't even know she's not yours." My mom protested.
"Then where on earth did she get those eyes from?" He shouted back, "Oh I know, that Lieutenant you had an affair with 15 years ago." He said sarcastically. "He had blue eyes, didn't he?" He said mockingly. Silence fell through the house and tears streamed down my cheeks until I heard a crash and silently ran back up the stairs, sticking my head around Tyler's door on my way past.
"Nikki?" His voice shook.
"Hey, it's alright, you go back to sleep and everything will be better tomorrow." I lied .
"Okay." He said rolling over and hugging the teddy I had brought him at the fair.

No ones POV
"Chicago PD!" Atwater shouted as he knocked in their suspects door.
"He's running out the back." Ruzek said into his radio.
"Copy." Lindsay answered as he partner, Halstead, began chasing him down a few back alleys and she followed. "We're heading west." She updated as they turned a corner.
Their suspect was still running, Halstead right behind him when he turned another corner, shoved a young girl to the ground as she was in his way and kept running.
"Keep going!" Lindsay called as she knelt down to the girl. "I've got her." She told Jay as he turned another corner onto a main road and she turned her attention to the girl. "Hey, take it easy." She said offering her hands for stability, "can you tell me your name?" Lindsay said moving one hand to the back of the girls head and feeling blood.
"Nikki." The girl replied.
"Alright Nikki, I'm Erin and I think we need to get you to med and get that checked out." Lindsay said reaching for her radio and calling for an ambulance before helping Nikki to her feet. "Anything other than the head hurt?" Lindsay said, looking her over.
"Nope." Nikki said slowly taking a few steps forward and wincing as one foot made contact with the ground. "I might have twisted my ankle." She Said with a shrug.
"Lean on me a bit kid." Lindsay said slipping her arm under Nikkis. "Hey Gabby." She greeted the paramedic as they arrived at the main road.
"What've we got here?" Brett asked coming around from the back of the Ambo, neither were going to say anything but they recognised the girl from a few other calls.
"This is Nikki, she got shoved out of the way and bashed her head and twisted her ankle." Erin said, sitting Nikki on the back of the Ambo.

"Glad to see your still alive." Brett joked as Dawson got into the front of the ambulance and Lindsay was left outside.
"Yeah.. is Tyler ok?" Nikki asked about her little brother. "Don't lie to me please." She pleaded.
"We picked him up a couple weeks ago, fell down the stairs." Brett said glancing at the gash on the back of Nikkis head. "We were wondering where you'd gone."
"I ran away, been on the streets two weeks today." Nikki explained.
"Look take this, and call me if you need anything at any time of day." Brett Said passing her a card.
"Thanks." Nikki said putting it into her bag.

A few hours later
"Hey Maggie, do you know where Nikki is, 14 year old, head wound?" Dawson asked.
"Dr Halsteads patient?" Maggie asked and Dawson nodded. "She ran away."
"Of course she would." Brett said with a small smirk. "If she comes in again, could you call us instead of CPS?"
"Of course." Maggie replied making a note in Nikkis file. "You know her?"
"We've treated her a lot." Dawson replied with a shrug before they headed back to the Ambo.

Ambulance 61, Truck 81, Squad 3, structure fire..

"Hey Chief What've we got?" Brett asked him as they arrived on scene.
"People who live downstairs reckon someone's still upstairs but he's not sure." Boden explained.
"Chief, all clear up here." Severides voice came through the radio.
"Everyone out." Boden ordered.
"Wait isn't that Nikki?" Dawson said gesturing to a figure sat on a nearby bench.
"Yeah, I think so." Brett replied, both paramedics weaved there way through the crowd. "Hey." Brett said sitting next to her.
"They said you ran away from med?" Dawson said crouching down slightly, infront of her.
"Yeah, they were gonna call mom and Chris." Nikki said.
"Why don't you call Chris dad anymore?" Brett asked, picking up on the slight change.
"Cause He isn't. The night I left they were arguing about who my dad was and Chris said it couldn't be him because mom was sleeping with a blue eyed Lieutenant before I was born." Nikki answered.
"Maybe we can help you find your real dad? Did they mean Lieutenant as in Police or fire department?" Dawson offered.
"I don't know." Nikki answered both questions. "What if he doesn't want me?"
"Why wouldn't someone want you kid?" Brett answered with a small, friendly smile.
"Because mom and Chris didn't or they would've tried looking for me." Nikki snapped back, leaving the paramedics without an answer.
"How about you come back to the firehouse with us and we'll start the search?" Dawson said.
"Okay." Nikki answered with a shrug.