Darker Than Love | 24

Michelle's POV

"In breaking news, 17-year-old Damien Travolta of Washington DC High was pronounced dead yesterday evening at MedStar Washington Hospital Center. It has not been clear what the cause of death was, but inside sources claim that Ryder Daniels And Damien Travolta were attacked yesterday outside their school's premises by a group of unidentified men. Ryder Daniels is still recovering at MedStar hospital-"

I watched as the television screen faded to black and slowly lowered my gaze to the remote in my hand and my finger pressed against the power button. I was dumbfounded. . .

Damien is dead.

I mean I heard what happened to him on news last night but he's dead?

I slipped off the sofa and began to pace the living room. They'll think I'm a suspect right? They'll think that my father hired someone or in this situation- people to kill Damien because I mean someone like my father has the authority to do so.

I'm in all this trouble just because I almost slept with him. God! Why couldn't I have been sensible before walking into that classroom with Damien? Maybe then I would have avoided all of this, everything with him, Mason and Ryder.

Now he's dead.

Did Mason have something to do with it?

"I did what I had to do to protect you."

Why did he say that? He's speaking in the past tense, meaning that whatever was done had already occurred. To protect me. . .it can't be Kaleb, or else he would have told me something and there's no one other than Ryder and Damien who were after me.

No, no stop thinking so negative Michelle, Mason had absolutely nothing to do with the death of Damien.

He wouldn't risk it and especially not for someone like me.

I got myself into this mess and it's mine and my parent's duty to get me out of it. If only there was a way for me to prove that Damien and Ryder were trying to assault me then I won't be held accountable for any of this.

It was self-defence! But no, no one believed me because they think I'm like my parents. Like I'm above everyone so I'm lying to get my way. They think this is a ploy!? For what? What would I possibly get out of lying about something this serious?

I shook my head slowly and marched up the stairs and into my room. I hopped onto my computer chair and rolled myself towards my desk as I reached forward to turn on my computer. When the screen came to life I navigated my way towards twitter and the Washington DC News.

@LailaCress:People are ridiculous to think Michelle had anything to do with Damien's murder,You heard the girl she was almost raped #JusticeforMichelle

@MakaylaTrent:I'm disappointed in the place I call my school and home, How can such an innocent girl be accused of murder when she was already held countable for threat #JusticeforMichelle

@KaylaBaruch:All Of you dimwits and idiots out here fighting for Michelle when she's the real murderer out here..LOCK HER UP! #CrazybitchMichelle

People are really at my neck for this. And Kayla, of course she'd believe her boy-now deceased ex-boyfriend.

But despite that, I'm happy I actually have people standing up for me.

I closed my twitter tab and scrolled through the news, but with no new leads in sight, I sighed and turned my computer off.

I slipped off my pizza stained clothes and sauntered lazily into the bathroom to take a bath. I need it, to rid myself of this greasy smell and to soothe my mind. These have been the longest three days of my life, all because of Damien.