Twelve

"Knightley." A voice called. She turned and saw Cassandra lurking in the shadows.

"What is it, Aylwin?"

The brunette let out a frustrated sigh. "I'm just worried."

"You know, everyone here was being trained to fight, right? Even the servants? And you are a formidable fighter."

"It's... not that."

It was the first time she saw the woman nervous. She had always looked calm and collected, confident, a bit cocky, but never nervous. The older vampire chewed on her lower lip.

"What's on your mind?"

"I'm worried... about my brother," she confessed. She stared at her softly, a sympathetic smile on her face. She walked toward her and took her arm to sit with her.

"Your brother, from what I gathered, is a capable warrior. And his subordinates adored him, they won't let anything happen to their count."

"I know that!" She exclaimed, "But, Taylor, we're fighting against humans, and silver is easily acquired. What if... If..."

She put an arm over her friend's shoulder, squeezing it lightly. Taylor didn't have many friends since she transferred from one school to another, and her schoolmates looked at her with disdain. The only friends she had were Kyle and Jean. She was grateful for having to meet Cassandra, who may have hit on her the first time they talked, and it pained her to see her like this.

"Do you want to go? To your brother, I mean."

"No... I... I can't."

"Why not?"

Cassandra's eyes suddenly flicked up and she saw it dilate before turning away. But she caught her line of sight and saw Kyle, who was carrying Jean to her room.

"Oh, oh that's why."

Her friend shoved her a bit, glaring. "One word to him and I will..."

"What? Burn me to the sun?"

"Shut up, Knightley."

"He's single, you know."

And that earned her another shove from her friend.

She asked Kyle to come with her to the city for her surprise to Andrea. The boy obliged, in exchange for some information.

"So, what's the deal with you and Cassandra?" He suddenly asked as she looked around for a decent place to take her soulmate.

She raised a brow at him. "What do you mean? We're friends, and she's one of my trainers if Frank is unavailable."

Kyle squinted his eyes at her. "You two seemed pretty close."

"She saved me once, and has been a friend ever since."

"So, there's nothing going on with you?"

"You know I'm mated with Andrea, right?"

The boy shrugged. "Who knows, maybe you have a side... thingy."

She punched him lightly on the shoulder as she glared at him. "There's nothing going on between us. You know—" she stopped talking when she saw something from the window of a store.

"What?"

"Let me just... I need to get that."

"Are you—"

"No, not yet. Come on."

After the purchase, Kyle began asking him questions about Cassandra it almost drove her mad.