One

Taylor groaned as soon as she opened her eyes. It was a new day, a new school. She wondered what would be different this time. She had been to three different schools in a single year. Attending a class in a human school would probably be as catastrophic as being in a vampire school. Why wouldn't it be? Taylor was born differently. Half human, and half vampire.

The vampires despised her because she could walk under the sun. A freak. A hybrid. An abomination. She got into a lot of fights in and out of school. As a vampire, it was really not that big of a deal. She healed as quickly as any vampire did. And so, her mother decided that maybe it would be better for her to live with her human family. Her mother pulled strings and now Taylor was staying with her uncle Calvin, her father's younger brother.

A knock on the door took her out of her head.

"Taylor, you up?" Her aunt Jane called through her door.

"Yeah, I'll be down in a bit."

She stood up from the bed and stared at herself in the mirror. Her gray eyes stared back at her as she brushed down her dark brown hair. She got her eyes from her father, someone she barely remembered. She pulled her hair up and tied it in a high ponytail. Her dark hair was a contrast to her pale skin. She was not as pale as the other vampires, thanks to the sun, and she could pass up as a human. She could be seen as a fair-skinned girl. She was still a bit paler than most humans. She then stared at her blood-red lips. It was something she got from her vampire mother that she couldn't really understand how they got that color since they couldn't naturally produce blood.

Her human family was accepting. They never made her feel left out the moment she moved. They welcomed Taylor with open arms. They never judged her, never asked her about the scars on her face, arms, and body because of her... fights. No, they accepted her as their own. They weren't really close; Taylor and her mother had kept to themselves when... her father died. But when her mother brought her to them, her uncle and aunt hugged her. It was warm, literally, and figuratively.

And her cousins were heaven-sent. Kyle, a senior like her, never made her feel like an outcast. During her first week with them, he would take her to the places he and his sister frequented. And Jean, her adorable little cousin, has a contagious laugh. Taylor believed she loved the kid more than she should for a cousin. She had gray eyes like her with the same dark brown hair. The two of them looked like they were siblings more than Kyle and Jean.

After getting ready, she ran down the stairs and sat across Kyle as the family ate their breakfast.

"Good morning, Tay-Tay!" Jean greeted her with a huge grin as the girl sat beside her and Taylor couldn't help but smile.

"Good morning, Jean," she said leaning over her and kissing the top of her head. The girl giggled before attacking her pancake stack. Her aunt Jane handed her her mug filled with blood with a smile. She smiled back and murmured a thank-you as they fell into their routine.

"Oh, Kyle, could you take a look at this?" She handed him a piece of paper from her bag. Kyle furrowed his brows together. "It's my schedule. Do you think we have a class together?"

His eyes scanned the paper. "Oh yeah, let me see." His eyes moved. "It's so cool! I think we have all the same—hold up, how did you get this? This was supposed to be given to you later by the principal?"

Taylor shrugged with a hint of a smile. "I may or may not have snuck into her office a couple of nights ago." Her aunt could only shake her head at her antics while Kyle's jaw dropped.

"Taylor, I should hope you're not using your abilities for something bad," her uncle warned, his gray eyes bore into hers. She offered an apologetic smile.