Chapter 51 - Council Meetings

Start from the beginning

"If the king is certain," the steward broke in, "we should not question him."

"Thank you, Mathis. That is the best thing you've said all day." He turned from the steward to face his advisors. "Tell me, my lords, does this woman's presence bother you because she possesses no pedigree?" Nobles hated commoners. It should come as little surprise they applied this same hate in excess to outsiders. When they did not answer he said, "I see," and shook his head. "Maybe I was wrong. Perhaps you are peeved for another reason. It frustrates you, does it not, that Claire has done more to save this kingdom than any of you have?"

His council members shifted in their seats. They were of little help with anything, simply another example of unnecessary uselessness. Were it up to him, he would have gotten rid of the lower council long ago. "The king chooses his Shields and the people choose theirs," his father once told him. Each of the twenty council members were selected by the twenty lord governors along with their people, to represent the twenty Dragondoms at court. The reason being, this ensured wise advisers were present in matters of politics and decision making.

His inadvertent reminder of Claire's contribution to Dragonwall's cause worked. Lord Richard Rosk broke the stunned silence, coming to his aid. "Perhaps, my lords, our king has the best of it." Lord Rosk often displayed better sense than the others. "After all, this girl is merely a servant with no rank. No bother to us, eh? Let us lay down our arguments and accept the king's decision with dignity."

"No bother, Lord Rosk?" Lord Glover protested with no intent to budge. "Why, just the other day, my wife and some of her ladies took a walk accompanied by Lord Jovari. She was up in arms upon returning home. Apparently, Lord Rosk, Lord Jovari greeted this servant as if she were royalty." The man glared at Lord Rosk as he spoke. "Lord Jovari suggested that this...this servant and another serving girl take a turn with them about the castle!"

There were several quiet gasps. "Outrageous!" he heard one lord mutter.

"Lord Glover!" He slammed his hand on the table. "Do you question the actions of my Shields?"

"No. No, Your Grace. I merely—"

"You merely intend to pass judgement?" His irritation was out in full force. The color drained from Lord Glover's face. "I can assure you, my lord, that no harm has come to your lady by way of Lord Jovari's actions, no matter how appalled she may be." Lord Glover was nearly trembling under his narrowed gaze. "Furthermore, Lord Glover, I suggest you go home tonight and teach the kind Lady Glover that it is the servants who bring her food, the servants who clean up after her, and you may finish by telling her that the servants contribute far more to this keep than she ever will."

There were no further protests following this clarification. Thank the gods. He breathed a sigh of relief.

Putting Claire in a position of servitude was done strategically. It was done with intention. His council believed she was merely there because she was of no consequence. That was what he wanted them to think.

He could have treated Claire as the hero she was, though that matter still irritated him. He should have been the savior of his own kingdom. After all, he was their king, their protector. Instead it was some silly woman who knew nothing about Dragonwall, nothing about its people nor its customs.

Yes, he could have given her a comfortable life with no responsibilities. And he might have, despite his deep frustration with her. His mind drifted back to Verekblot and her biting remarks in the corridor. He was only trying to help. Still, she took pleasure in wounding him. In punishing his prior behavior.

Furthermore, he could have offered her gifts in return for her service. He ought to, in spite of his fury towards her for humiliating him. After all, she deserved far better. Yet none of these were the principle reason he placed her in servitude. He did it to draw as little attention to her as possible. She would be far safer unnoticed than she would be in the public's eye. By now, Kane's servants were looking for her. It was imperative that he keep her safe.