A Bargain

Vallahurst, Eagle Lake

Kane surveyed his surroundings. The dark nook and hooded cloak allowed him the anonymity necessary to go unnoticed. In front of him sat a flagon of ale, hardly touched. He didn't have a taste for the stuff, yet the bar wench insisted.

Three days had come and passed in much the same way. All the while he grew more certain—he had chosen well—Eagle Knight was the man for the job. What a stupid, boisterous name for an assassin, but he came with a reputation and unquestionable credentials.

He watched the man whilst he drank with his cronies, analyzing his actions. There was calculated caution in his every movement. To his associates he appeared at ease, but Eagle's eyes moved discretely around the room as they took note of each happening in the Eagle's Nest. What came first, he wondered, the tavern name, or the assassin who frequented it?

It took him a week to track Eagle's shadow from Mistport to Vallahurst. In that time, he had learned a fair bit about the man and his dealings. This assassin covered his tracks well, moved quickly, and surrounded himself with the right people.

His territory was limited to Eagle Lake and his patrons were often rich nobility. He knew the region well, and there was no need for business to take him elsewhere until now. Kane planned to present the assassin with an offer he would not, could not, refuse.

"I will give my terms tonight." He sent the information to Wrath. The dragon waited for him in the Vallahurst Forest. "When I finish, I will meet you on the outskirts of the city. Wait for my call." They had a long journey ahead of them. They were to head east, all the way to Pavv.

Walking among humans reminded him of why he lived in seclusion. He was eager to be away. Already he risked a great deal. He could not afford to blow his cover.

Eagle's eyes suspiciously studied him. Twice the assassin scrutinized him. One of the tavern's wenches deposited another drink before him. This time Eagle caught her arm and whispered into her ear. Fortunately he was a sorcerer so his inhuman hearing picked up every word.

"Fair lady, tell me the identity of the hooded man in the corner."

"I don't be knowin' his name, Eagle. But I'll tell ya one thing, I will. He paid me a gold dragon to ask no questions," she said.

There was a moment of surprise in Eagle's eyes, which was quickly hidden as he nodded to the wench who then returned to her tasks. A gold dragon was a fair amount of money—far more than any tavern wench saw in a single day. This would pique Eagle's interest.

It did.

Eagle rose from the table, taking his flagon with him. He then made his way over. "Greetings, kind sir." He stopped before the table. "Mind if I buy you some ale?"

"Cup's already full." He picked it up, tipping some of the nasty liquid into his mouth.

"This I know. I've scarcely seen you take a drink." It was in the man's nature to be observant. Merely another reason why he was a perfect fit for the job.

"Sit. Let's talk," he said, motioning to the empty chair across from him.

Eagle narrowed his eyes. He was about to protest. He would have, were it not for the bag of gold tossed at him. Assassins were predictable. Money made them tick.

"What is this?" Greed was written all over his face as he picked up the bag and weighed it in his hand.

"Sit," he repeated, this time less patiently. Eagle sat.

"I see you got a job for me," the assassin said. "Which noble you want dead? I can only assume your target is of the blood, else you wouldn't offer me so much gold."

"No nobles. No death," he answered, setting his cup down. His target was royal, but only as of recently.

"Case you ain't noticed, I deal in death."

"Obviously. I will pay you three times what you have there if you are successful."

Eagle's eyes widened. "Who are you, mister?"

"That is unimportant. Do you wish to hear my terms or not?"

"Aye, I'll hear them." Eagle glanced around the tavern, keeping his awareness intact.

"Very good." At that moment the bar wench passed by, stopping briefly at their table. "Another flagon for Eagle, if you please," he said to her, passing her a silver.

"Right away, sir." She took the money and scurried away. He watched her fill the cup. Only after she had placed it in front of Eagle and retreated, did he begin.

"There is a certain person of interest, a woman, who is important to me." It was no longer within his goals to kill her. Especially not after the rumors of her power. "Bring her to me alive and unharmed, and I will make you rich beyond your wildest dreams."

"You want me to kidnap some lassie? You must be barking!" The assassin crossed his arms and eyed him doubtfully.

"I do not jest. The task is not as easy as it may sound. Far from it."

Were it not for the woman's recent exposure to the public or the rumors that spread within days to every stretch of the kingdom, his plans would have remained unchanged. Now there was enough evidence to demonstrate her value. The difficulty would lie in her capture.

"Who is she?" Eagle asked.

"Her name is Lady Claire, and she is well protected." And indeed she would be now that she was the king's ward. "That is why I selected you."

"Fair enough. How do I find this lady?"

"Go to Kastali Dun. From there your search will be easy."

"Kastali Dun!" Eagle's face darkened. "That ain't part o' my territory. Who do you think I am?"

"I know exactly who you are, and I know you are perfectly capable." He clenched his flagon. "But if you are not up for it, I will gladly retract my gold and peddle my business elsewhere." Eagle stayed quiet. He considered the offer. "Can you do it or not?" His patience was wearing thin.

"Course I can do it," Eagle boasted. "It is a matter of whether or not I want to. You are good for the gold?"

"I am good for it. Deliver the woman and I will pay you three times what you have there. You have my word."

"All right then. I will do it. You have my word." Eagle held out his hand to seal the bargain. The word of an assassin. He wasn't sure how much it counted for. Reluctantly, he stuck his pale hand forward and grasped Eagle's, shaking it briefly. Humans disgusted him. Touching this one was not favorable.

"And how will I get her to ya?" Eagle glanced about the room again.

"Bring her here. I will know when you arrive." With that, he left. He'd greatly underestimated this woman named Claire. Not anymore. Her time would come, same as the rest of them.

⭐🌟 DON'T FORGET TO VOTE!!🌟⭐