Chapter 28 - Esterpine

Esterpine

Reyr kept watch over Claire's sleeping figure from his chair in the corner, careful not to disturb her. Her chest gently rose and fell, but her sleep was fitful. He could see it in the way her eyes twitched beneath their lids and in the way her body fidgeted.

She had surprised him at every turn! When he first beheld her, she brought emotions to his surface that had long been buried—feelings which were better left unacknowledged. She reminded him so much of Gemma. Beloved Gemma. Some two hundred years had passed since her death.

Claire would complicate his life. Somehow he knew this within an instant of meeting her. In those first few minutes while standing over Cyrus's corpse, he wanted so badly for her to be guilty. In truth, he needed her to be. Having a culprit—someone to blame for Cyrus's death and the torment it brought—would have made things much easier.

Deep in his heart he understood that she was no killer, though he did not trust her, not at all. Too many counts of suspicion were evident. She showed no obvious signs of magic, but that meant very little. A good pretender could do the same.

Claire stirred, bringing him from his thoughts. Her body regained consciousness as her eyelids fluttered. Her eyes opened. He gave her time to lay there, staring blankly at the ceiling ornaments, while he silently informed Jovari and Koldis of her condition.

As if on cue, her head snapped in his direction. "Reyr?" she croaked.

He stood and moved over to her bedside. "How are you feeling?"

"Better than I can remember in a long time." She smiled, returning her gaze to the ornaments that captured her attention. A strange look passed over her features though it was very brief. "This journey has been harder than I imagined. How stupid of me. Perhaps we can stay here a while and rest?"

He knew the last week had been tiring for her. He too could use the rest, but Claire's healing had slowed their progress enough already. The forest was safer, to be sure, for he knew the Vodar would not dare venture into the kingdom of the Sprites, but they needed to be on their way.

When he did not answer, Claire's face fell. "Well, it was worth a try I suppose. How long have I been asleep?"

"Since the night before last," he replied. It was nearing night again. She had slept two full days.

"We must depart at first light in the morning. Come, get yourself dressed. Supper will be soon, and we have been invited to dine with the Sprites in their city center."

"Good!" she said, jumping up from her bed with renewed excitement. "I'm starving!"

He was too, but not for anything that the Sprites might serve them. Allowing her privacy, he left the room.

When she emerged, he could not help his lingering eyes. She looked stunning—a stark contrast to the weeping girl he found in the other world. Far more like a woman.

The Sprites had given her a shimmery silver gown. It was less revealing than what Queen Jade wore, but beautiful all the same. It left her arms bare and fell to her ankles. A silvery cape of a slightly different shade and cloth clasped around her neck. The ensemble brought out the golden color of her hair and green of her eyes.

She caught him staring and her cheeks flushed.

"Forgive me," he said. "I did not expect to see you clad in their garb."

She permitted him a half smile. "Neither did I, but someone must have left it for me. It's lovely, isn't it?" As she spoke, she gazed down at the fabric to study it.