Darker Than Love | 22

Start from the beginning

I frowned deeply, and once again the memories came flashing back. I winced at the sound of her voice pleading for me to stop, to stop hurting the man that hurt her.

Sorry, not sorry.

But she's a bitch.

Even though she's my mom.

•••

"You sure you wanna do this?" Kaden asked as we peered up at the crack house. I kicked at the broken down picket fence and stepped over it, "I've never been more sure about anything, they got Michelle arrested, humiliated in front of the entire school for what!? They're gonna pay for this!"

We tumbled onto the porch and I knocked against the door that hung off its hinges, threatening to fall onto the ground until it swung open and I stared at it perplexed, wondering how the hell it didn't break.

As the door opened, the smell of marijuana wafted over my face and I smirked down at the guy peering up at me, an astonished expression etched onto his face as he leaned against the frame of the door.

"Mason! God, I thought I'd never see you again!" He exclaimed, a hearty laugh escaping his lips as he motioned inside. I stepped through the doors, and one by one all the guys came tumbling into what was once a decent looking living room.

"Mason!"

Before I could reply I was tackled against the floor with no way to escape as they all tumbled onto me, their laughter echoing around the house as they hugged me against the floor. "Get off me, assholes!" I chuckled as I shoved them off of me and grabbed Gretto's hand as he hoists me off the ground.

"What brings you here, Mason? Heard you were in town for a few months but you never came to see your old friends." Gretto exclaimed as he waved the guys off to leave him, Kaden and I alone.

"I need a favour," I said and he nodded his head as he lowered himself down onto the surprisingly clean couch, his eyes peering up into mine as a smirk crept onto his lips. "What do you want?"

"There's this girl, she got arrested today because of two guys and I need them to pay for it."

"So you want me to get my hands dirty for a girl?" He chuckled humorlessly.

"First of all, you owe me for all the shit I've done for you over in Canada, I could have gotten arrested on many occasions but I did your dirty work Gretto. And this girl isn't just any girl, I need to protect her so I need her by my side and those dickheads got her arrested. They. Need. To. Pay."

"So. . ." he trailed off as he leaned back against the chair, his eyes flickering towards the gun sitting in his waistband.

"No, no killing. I just want them to pay, beat them up or whatever, just teach them a lesson."

"Son, do you see this?" He asked as he gestured towards the teardrop tattoo sitting under his eye. I rolled my eyes and nodded my head as I leaned against the wall beside Kaden who stood there observing silently.

"I kill Mason, I don't let people leave alive, it's death or nothing," he spat. I sighed deeply and pinched the bridge of my nose in frustration. I could threaten him right now but that wouldn't do me any good. "Grett, I'm begging you right now,"

"Mason-"

"I'm BEGGING you!"

"Who's the girl?" He asked.