Chapter Fourteen

After I talked to Nathaniel through text that day, I haven't seen him in person ever since

After I talked to Nathaniel through text that day, I haven't seen him in person ever since. We talked through the phone from time to time, and I deleted the logs like he told me to. Things seemed to shift back to normal Sam wasn't looking over my shoulder at every opportunity anymore, and Olivia's worried looks had vanished, and she was now her typical bouncy self around me again.

Everything had gone back to normal, except me. I started looking at everyone differently. I was nervous. Would you throw me under the bus if you knew? Was what ran through my mind when socializing with church members for over five minutes at a time.

"It's a bit exhausting."

"It'll pass," Nath said from the other end, making me bite my bottom lip as I stared up at the ceiling. I was in the room that I shared with Sam, not doing anything in particular. It was midday on Thursday, and most people had gone out to knock at doors while I stayed on my bed and thought to myself.

"How have you been?" I asked Nath, sitting up on my bed before laying with the material of the green bedsheet. I heard Nath hum from the other end. I could hear barking in the distance and the turning of screws. He was probably at his workplace. I hoped I wasn't bothering him by calling him up so suddenly.

"I'm doing fine," I heard him say as the sound of something being lifted followed. "I miss you though," he added in a soft voice like he wasn't quite sure he was supposed to say that. A smile made its way to my lips, and my chest felt full.

"I miss you too," I said into the phone, and Nathaniel stayed quiet on the other end. After a long pause, Nath finally spoke up.

"How are things at home?" he asked. My lips when thin. I was a bit disappointed he was trying to change the topic, but I didn't bother and just answered his question.

"Things are fine. I've been emailing my parents back and forth," I answered, and I heard him hum from the other end. "My sisters say they miss me since they actually have to do chores now," I added, and Nathaniel laughed. I smiled as I thought about them.

"Do you have any siblings?" I asked.

"No, it was just me and my mum," he said, and I heard a huff afterward. He had probably moved something. "I'm used to being by myself."

I didn't know what to make of that, so I just stayed silent on my end.

"Though, there was this traditional Baptist woman with nine kids on my street, lord," he said with a little chuckle, and I laughed too.

"How's your relationship with your siblings. I'm always curious how people live so many people in the same house," he said, and I smiled.

"Well, my family house is pretty big."

"Oh really?" he asked with a sarcastic tone and I laughed, getting up from my bed. I wondered over to the window, looking out as I hummed to myself. People should start heading back sooner or later if I was correct.