Hunting Doina (I) {Susanna}

It's dark by the time we arrive at the small cottage where Mycroft has set up operations. And of course I get strange looks because of my bulging tummy, so I tug on Sherlock's sleeve and he knowingly whisks me upstairs to a small bedroom, "Go ahead and sleep. I'll tell you what the plan is when you're rested up and ready."

I nod sleepily, "Okay." Sherlock helps me change into my thick fleece nightgown and then tucks me into the twin bed. I turn over and after some adjusting find an acceptable position before eventually nodding off.

The Next Morning

I yawn and go to roll onto my back, only to be impeded by a wall of toned warmth. I might have panicked if I didn't quickly realize that it was Sherlock, pressed very close to me so as to conserve space and heat on the tiny twin bed. I let out the rest of the yawn and feel his familiar arms tighten around me, "Rest well, Love?"

"Well enough I suppose."

He kisses my neck and cheek, "Excellent. We have a full day ahead."

"Of course we do. And with any luck we'll be back in London tomorrow," I gently roll onto my back and give him a kiss, "So, what's the plan?"

"We've got the local airport locked down and subsequent airports on watch. Police units have set up check points to catch anyone who tries to escape by the roads. Mycroft has a helicopter on standby. Nobody's mucking around. We have a few locations where it's likely we'll find her so we'll start there," He leans closer and boops me on the nose, "You, Missus Holmes, are going to stay with me or John at all times. If you sense anything or feel something wrong, you must let us know immediately."

I nod, "Understood."

"Good."

After a few more minutes in bed, Sherlock helps me up and we quickly get ready. Then he walks me downstairs, where breakfast is waiting. Mycroft and John look up as we enter and the former speaks up, "I don't fully approve of your coming along, Susanna, but as long as you remain with one of the three of us I am willing to let you stay."

"Thank you, Myc." He might have usually chided someone for calling him that, but he doesn't seem to mind me doing it now. I lower myself into a chair and we dig into breakfast. From there, the hunt begins.

Dad arrives as we're heading out of the door. He takes me aside, "Thomas is going to be okay. They're going to move him to a room with Paul today."

I grin with relief, "Oh thank goodness!"

Then he gives me a stern look, "I do not agree with you coming out here, Susanna."

"I needed fresh air and I wanted to be with Sherlock. I feel much safer knowing he's with me than if I had stayed in London."

He sighs and then reaches into his suit pocket, casting a gaze around the area, "At least have this on you." He brings out a military grade taser gun. I gape.

"Dad, why-?"

"I'll feel much more secure having you armed in case something does happen. Here." He places it in my hands and I sigh.

"Alright. Thank you, Dad." I place it in my coat pocket and he relaxes the tiniest bit.

"No problem. Now, we have an arms dealer to catch." He walks me back over to Sherlock and John who are waiting by the sedan. Dad exchanges a few words with them while I'm getting into the backseat.

The baby shifts and kicks as I lean back against the headrest. I put my hand on my tummy and rub it gently, "It's alright. We'll be alright, Honey." I whisper soothingly. Sherlock gets in and has me scoot over to him, wrapping an arm around my back and resting his hand protectively over mine on my belly.

"This is why I didn't want you to come. You're exciting the baby." He remarks. I don't respond, just lean into him and buckle up.

The first couple of houses that those of us in the sedan search come up empty. Mycroft and Dad have similar luck with the larger manor homes. With every failed visit, I watch Sherlock grow more frustrated and determined.

Around noon, we regroup at a local cafe. The others discuss new strategies and which plots to search next while I focus on eating lunch. As I am, I notice an elderly gentleman watching us from inside. He looks a little gruff, but I get the feeling to go and talk to him. So I excuse myself to the loo and when I come out, I walk over to him instead of going back outside, "Hello."

He looks at me with guarded eyes, "You all are looking in the wrong place."

I take a breath, "Are we?" The man nods and lowers his voice.

"Doina Funar and her husband keep me and my wife as hired help. She's currently out hiking and I have to be back soon. You won't find her until she's out of the forest."

"What is your name, sir?"

"Edmund Derrickson, Ma'am."

I take a quick seat and whisper, "Where do we find Doina?" He scribbles on a paper napkin and palms it over to me, leaning in.

"Here. But don't come until late and call off the rest of those police units and such. She'll know and will bolt." I nod.

"Thank you, Mister Derrickson. Is there anyway I could help you and your wife?"

"Just freeing us from Doina and her husband will be enough,.."

"I mean it. What can I do?"

"My wife and I have... wanted to move out to the coast for our retirement." I nod and smile.

"I will make sure you and Missus Derrickson are moved there as swiftly as possible. Your help is invaluable, sir. Thank you."

He smiles warmly and gestures out of the window, "You'd better get going."

"I probably should." I shake his hand and hide the napkin in my pocket, slowly walking back outside. Sherlock visibly relaxes when he sees me.

"I was beginning to worry, Love."

"No need. Just had a longer trip than usual," I walk over and lean up to his ear, "Good news. I know where Doina is."

Thank you for reading!