Chapter - 6. The markings

So the symbol definitely had to do something with the supernatural. I was actually kind of excited because I've always been a curious girl since I was little. I wasn't scared because I knew there was a lot of so-called 'haunted stuff' on the market. Like mirrors, dolls, clothes, urns, and frames. So I decided to find out the authenticity of the frame before spending any more time on research. It was 3:00 am in the morning so I couldn't ask my mom about it because she is still probably asleep. So I ran down the stair to examine the frame myself.

I brought with me the half-eaten packet of biscuits because I was still a bit hungry and my phone to take pictures of the frame. The kitchen door made a creaking noise as I tried to open it as stealthily as I possibly could. Hoping I didn't wake up anyone in the house, I slowly switched on the lights and took off the frame from the nail on which it was hung upon. The front surface of the frame didn't look any different than the last time but I wouldn't say the same thing about the back panel.

The water from the wall had seeped through it. The paper on the back panel was completely soaked up and the glue that was holding up the paper on the panel began to give up. The paper was hanging loose on the top left corner, revealing more markings on the inside. I tore the sheet of paper off of the back panel completely. The wooden back panel was covered in markings; writings. I couldn't figure out if it were symbols or writings. I took a picture of it so that the whole thing was visible and put my phone back in my pajama pocket. I quickly put the frame back on the wall and ran up to my room.

I quickly open my computer and opened various translation websites. I uploaded the photo on those sites and tried out every single possible language there was. But none of them showed any results. Some of the websites said that the language is unrecognizable probably because it might have been in existence many years ago and not now. But that didn't make sense. The frame is still in pretty good condition for the language to be that old.

I let out a big yawn and turned around to see my bedside clock. It showed 3:49 am. I started feeling slightly sleepy mainly because I wasn't used to being up all night. I knew that my body wouldn't function tomorrow unless I get some sleep. So I closed my laptop and laid it on the bedside table before dozing off.

-

The next morning my mom woke me up at 7:30 am because I slept through the alarm. I didn't sleep very soundly as I had barely a few hours to rest, but I never heard an alarm. I got up and went straight to the bathroom to brush my teeth. I came down after getting dressed. I wore a grey hoodie and a pair of dark blue skinny jeans. I wore the hoodie mainly because I wanted to hide from Charlette. She cannot know that I heard her and her mom yelling. I had some cereal for breakfast and rushed to school.

My heart sank to my stomach. Charlette was waiting for me and waved at me as soon as she saw me. I had to wave back because there is no chance to hide now. I walked to her and she immediately started apologizing for yesterday.

"I'm so sorry Kate; I shouldn't have behaved like that yesterday. It must all be very confusing for you" Charlette said.

"Oh, it's no big deal Charlette. I forgot about immediately" I replied. But my subconscious yelled back at me. No. I did not forget any of it. It is still fresh as a salad in my memory.

"Oh really? That is so nice of you" she replied in a sing-song voice. "And please call me Charlie, Charlette is way too formal for friends" She added.

"So I couldn't help but hear you arguing with your mom when I left. I know it's none of my business but you sounded kind of serious" I asked.

"Oh, it was nothing. Just the same old drama" she said. I knew she was lying because she avoided eye contact with me as she said that.

I am now 80% sure the Charlie is a werewolf. Even if she was, I would be the last person for her to tell about it. Plus I didn't want to push my luck by confronting her either.

"What class do you have now?" Charlie asked to change the subject.

"I have Physics now, Mr. Cage will not be happy if I am late again. So...I better rush" I said to escape this awkwardness.

"You can't be serious," she said in a serious tone.

"I am pretty sure that Mr. Cage won't be happy I am late again" I repeated.

"Not that silly. I have Physics too" she said with a smile.

Great so I am stuck with her again. Now there is no way to escape from Charlie. I replied with a convincing fake smile and we walked toward our class.

"So Charlie, I never caught your last name," I said, trying to make conversation.

"Oh! Where are my manners?! It's Laqouci. Charlette Laqouci" she replied.

Hope you are enjoying my book. Please vote and comment...