Chapter - 2. The Worst Present Of The Year

Wow! Congrats to whoever sent me this package. Because they have been officially awarded 'worst present of the year' award. Well, I guess this isn't exactly a present and I also guess it isn't for me. It could not be stupider. Well, this is what exactly happened an hour ago.

I sat on my bed with the package in my hand and wondered if I should open it. The label read some unpronounceable name as the sender. Ms. DeVichiria Laqouci . That's the funniest, weirdest name I've ever heard of. Why would this Laqouci send me a package? How did she know my name? Is she even a real person? Why would she spend so much money on sending a package to a stranger? I am a stranger to her, aren't I? My mind flooded with questions. I had to stop thinking for a minute and I took a deep breath and stared at the package that now sat on my bed. I was ready to open it.

It had my name, the sender's name and my address, can you believe it? It had no sender's address. So someone who knows me, or at least thinks she does, has sent me this package. I kept staring at the package as I slowly pulled off the sticky packaging tape. Then I had to struggle with the bubble wrap. Finally, I was done with all the packaging stuff and I was left with a parcel wrapped in brown paper. I officially started to think if it was some kind of a prank that my cousins set up for me. But I opened it anyway. It looked like a photo frame but it was just the frame, with no photo. However, there was a tiny little marking at the top left corner of the frame; it almost looked like a symbol. It was a small pentagram which was encircled and had tiny markings on the inside. Well, it probably was a prank, from an unknown person who seems to know me.

I shoved the package with the frame under my bed and ran downstairs to eat dinner with my family. My mom makes the most amazing lasagna in the whole wide world. The aroma pulled me to the kitchen like a little kitten going after a yarn ball. I could not fell my legs, I felt like I was floating in lasagna heaven. My father had come home from work and everything was set up on the table for us to devour.

We started off immediately. We started talking about our new house, which was the reason I had to transfer to this new weirdo school. But I liked this house. Then we talked about the Event of the day , my first day in a new school. I said it was okay and dug into my lasagna. Then we talked about our neighbors. My mum couldn't stop complaining about how noisy they were. Dinner went by quickly as I didn't pay much attention to anything other than the lasagna.

My father constantly complained about the old house owners who left the house in such a bad condition and how much we had to pay for the repairs. I was thinking about my day at school and Charlette. I don't know why I was thinking about her. As a matter of fact, she didn't want to pay any type of attention to me. After dinner, I decided to read a book. I'd already read it a couple of times so it wasn't very interesting now. Besides I couldn't stop thinking about my day. Who would send me a package? Seemed pretty shady. I started feeling my eyelids getting heavier and heavier , making me sleep on the couch in our living room.

-

"Kat!! Kat!!!! Wake up", I heard a tiny voice yelling as tiny hands shook me to wake me up. It was my sister. I love her ,but sometimes she can be annoying, like right now. "5 minutes plea..." and I dozed off. Couple of minutes later, my mom woke me up. My limbs felt like noodles, like the ones from that Chinese takeaway, God, that was delicious; I wonder if we could get it again tonight. Anyways back to reality, what felt like a couple minutes was actually half an hour. Time goes by so quickly when you sleep. I got out of bed and got dressed for school. Still living in my dream food world, I went down for breakfast. I didn't have much time, so I grabbed some toast that had just popped out of the toaster.

-

School isn't very fun, but I was excited. I felt like today was my day, I'll make new friends, maybe meet Charlette or even try to start a conversation with her.

I saw Charlette walking down the school's gigantic hallway, so I waved excitedly at her. To my surprise, she waved back. Yeah! Finally, I'm starting to make friends in this new weirdo school. I grinned from ear to ear and started walking towards her. She looked brighter today, or should I say less gloomy. I guess something was just wrong with her yesterday. Anyway, she looked better today.

Suddenly, someone shoved me and ran away. My books fell down; I bent down to pick them up. That's when I saw her. She wasn't Charlette. I didn't know her, but I felt like I did.

Please vote and comment...