Chapter 11 - Smile Because It Happened

Start from the beginning

"What? Oh, nothing," I reply, sliding down the roof and grabbing the metal ladder by the edge, slowly ascending it and leading myself into the backyard.

Pinkie giggled loudly as she swung the bucket back and forth. It's amazing how much one can get so much enjoyment out of such a meaningless object. "Did you want something?" I ask.

"Uh, yeah!" Pinkie smiled, "I was just watching a TV show about two people falling in love! They looked so happy together, I wanted the exact same thing for you! So go out there and let me be your wing pony! Or more like a pegasus! But I'm not a pegasus, I'm an earth pony!"

"Pinkie, you don't have to exclaim everything-"

"I wanna!"

I face palm. "Look, Pinkie, relationships need commitments, and I'm not ready for those commitments," I try to explain, kneeling down to her eye level.

"But I want you to be happy with your very special somepony," Pinkie whines.

"I am happy," I smile, "With you. My special somebody will come at the right time."

Or rather, my special somebody is gone.

"Yeah, but..." Pinkie started, then sighed, "Okay. No pony can force two ponies to be together."
I nod approvingly.
"So anyways... I found a new cookie recipe! You wanna help me make them?" Pinkie asks, throwing the previous topic away like it never happened.

"Of course!" I cry and we rush into the house to start.

-

The oven makes a ringing noise. "They're done!" Pinkie exclaims, bouncing over to the oven and moving on her feet impatiently.

She looks up at me expectantly as I finish the last sentence of my book. Soon, I'll be rolling in money. "They're done! They're done! They're done! They're doooooone!" Pinkie repeats.

I roll my eyes and get up from the table, shoving my oven mitts on and pulling the hot tray of vanilla cookies with smarties spiked in them. The delicious aroma hits our nostrils and we sniff in unison. "Can I have one now? Please please please please please?" Pinkie begs.

"Sorry to be the party pooper, but they're too hot. You'll have to wait for them to cool down like always," I say, disappointment in my own words.

"But what will I do until then?" Pinkie whines.

I grin etches across my lips and I look down at Pinkie. "How about we go for a drive?" I suggest, putting the tray on the stove.

Pinkie looks at we with wide eyes, mouth agape. "But... but you never let me in the car..."

"Yes, but it'll be fun," I say, grabbing the keys.

I haven't used the car in a while but I still have to pay interest and all that shit. Fucking interest. "I dunno," Pinkie says warily.

"We'll drive somewhere were not many people go," I say temptingly.

"Well... alright," Pinkie says, following me as we make our way to the garage through the backyard.

The garage smells like soot and fuel. I run my hands over the glossy white paint on the car. I got it two months before I found Pinkie, as an early Christmas present from my parents. As much as I dislike the two, I didn't have to pay any money for it, and I do kinda like it so, meh! Freebie. That's why it's almost like new. I mean, it still has that new car smell.

I open the back door for Pinkie, who leaps into the backseat. I buckle her in, but she's still bouncing under its restraint. I dump myself into the driver's seat, where the garage door remote is waiting for me on the dashboard. With a click of the red button, the garage door folds open. I haven't driven in a little while, so I'm slightly nervous. I twist the key and the machine springs to life. Slowly pushing my foot on the accelerator, I make it out of the garage and click the remote button. Then I slam my foot on the accelerator for an awesome and dramatic start and drive down the road like a boss.