"Now you sound like Lexi," she muttered and shook her head, wondering why she'd asked Charles for advice in the first place. She could've guessed what he'd say.

Charles chuckled, a warm chuckle that always lifted Chesca's spirits. If her Beta was in the mood for chuckling, things must be ok. "Well, she is my mate."

"Yes, she is," Chesca watched him with a winsome expression. Would she ever be so close to someone like that, and mirror them in values and opinions? Would she ever really become one with her mate and stand with him through thick and thin? Or would there always be a wall of distrust and animosity between them? "And what about his dad?" she brought up her next question that had been bugging her no end. "Do you think he really does want Kaiden to come back instead of shirking his duties like the note said, or is Elbert a cruel tyrant like Danella told us?"

Only Charles knew of the note that had been left on her territory a while ago. The conflicting messages still plagued her mind day and night, constantly putting her in two minds whether to trust Kaiden or not.

"I think right now we have our own problems to solve," Charles said grimly as they reached the training field, and as she looked up she could see what he was talking about.

There was only a measly number of guards and warriors training, when usually the field was full with everyone except the border guards running on duty.

"Hey, Lexi," Chesca jogged up and signaled to her Head Guard who was sparring with Eric. He had been dutifully working closely with Lexi as instructed by Chesca since his act and attitude of insubordination. She was glad to see it. "Where is everyone?"

"I thought they were coming with you," Lexi stopped and wiped the sweat from her forehead.

Chesca looked at Charles who stood with a frown on his face. "Roman should be here, but I don't need too many guesses to know where that rascal is," he said grimly.

"Care to share?" Chesca spread her hands.

Charles' jaw clenched, "Kaiden mentioned an idea for something, I didn't think he meant it for this afternoon..." he trailed off, looking in the distance and shielded his eyes from the sinking sun.

"You all carry on, I'll investigate," Chesca waved them on to continue training while she jogged back and mindlinked her Gamma.
Roman, what is going on? Where are you?

Oh, uh, hi Alpha. We're just by the east bridge. Will meet you at the pack square in a jiffy.

She reached it before them, a paved area near the entrance to the residence and other shops and houses in the main district of the pack village. She stood with hands on hips, her foot tapping impatiently until she eventually saw a group of laughing men coming her way, Kaiden and Roman leading them.

"Would anyone care to explain why they're not training this afternoon?" she said lowly, trying very hard to keep her voice controlled and not screech in her anger.

"We train Thursdays," one of the warriors said casually.

"Since when? For as long as I've been Alpha, it's been Wednesdays," she stated through clenched teeth, her fists balling on her hips.

"Yeah, well, Alpha Kaiden suggested we make it Thursdays. There's a new project he wants us to work on," Roman shrugged as if this piece of news was like discussing the weather.

"Does he now?" Chesca turned her glare to Kaiden, having tried in vain to ignore the impassive smirk on his face the last minute.

"What's wrong with shaking things up a bit, keep it exciting? I thought we'd play some games and team building activities by the lake," he matched her stance but not her fierce gaze. He just looked at her calmly with a hint of amusement.