Workings of a Love Triangle

"So you don't remember anything that happened?" Stefan asked Ric, who was sitting down on one of the couches in the living room.

Jenna sat across from him on the other couch with a worried look on her face. Elena was sitting in a chair and my father was leaning against it. I however, was leaning against the doorframe, watching and listening.

"No," Ric answered. "It's like I blacked out, and woke up three days later."

Stefan was pacing back and forth in front of Ric, with his arms crossed, looking quite broody.

"Katherine was there," Ric adds.

"She's under compulsion," Stefan explains. "Damon snuck her some vervain, but she can't leave until Klaus tells her she can."

"Where is Damon?" Elena asked, like she suddenly realized he wasn't in the room.

"I saw him go upstairs," Jenna answers, looking over at Elena.

We all watch as Elena goes upstairs to find Damon.

"So," Ric says after Elena left. "What else did I do?"

At that point, I was bored of the conversation in front of me, so I decided to go eavesdrop on Elena and Damon.

I slip upstairs unnoticed by the others and quietly make my way to Damon's bedroom door.

"You disappeared," Elena said, going into the room.

"Didn't wanna hear anymore," Damon answered.

I peeked my head into the door and Damon was looking out the window, trying to ignore Elena's presence.

"I need you to understand why I'm doing this," Elena says, walking farther into the room.

Did she always feel the need to explain herself?

"Why?" Damon asked, clearly getting pissed. It seemed like whenever it came to Elena, he always got pissed when things weren't going his way. "It clearly doesn't matter what I think."

"I'll be fine, Damon," Elena tried reassuring him. "I'll drink the elixir, Bonnie will kill Klaus...and then all of this will finally be over."

"If it works," Damon scoffs.

"It will work," Elena says.

"You think it will work," he answers. "You want it to work. Why am I the only one who's convinced it won't?"

Because you love her, I answer silently.

"There has to be another way," he adds.

"There isn't," she replies.

"You're gonna die, Elena."

At least he spoke the truth, I'd give him that much.

"And then I'll come back to life," Elena was adamant.

Damon gets closer to Elena, anger clearly written across his face. Damn, he was sexy when he was pissed.

"That is not a risk I'm willing to take," Damon answers, pointing to Elena.

"But I am," she says, taking his hand into both of hers. "It's my life, Damon. My choice."

"I can't lose you," Damon finally admits.

"You won't," Elena sounded like she had tears in her eyes.

Damon studies her face for a few seconds and then Elena walks away. Fearing I'll be found, I hide in one of the alcoves.

I suddenly hear a whoosh sound.

"There is another way," I hear Damon say.

"Damon, no," Elena was pleading. "Damon, no-"