nineteen

"Thomas, whatever you're seeing, it's not really there. I'm me, I'm Dr. Ava Paige, you know me," Dr. Paige says slowly, not moving from her spot.

    "I know exactly who you are, I know what I'm seeing," Thomas says, a tear falling from his eye. He's shaking like a leaf, and with the way his face is twisted, he looks like a completely different person from the one I've known these past few days.

    "What are you seeing?" Dr. Paige asks, the calmness in her voice baffling me.

    Thomas blinks a few times, backing up more. "You're a monster."

    "Really look at me, Thomas," Dr. Paige says.

    "I am!" Thomas yells, the sob escaping him breaking his voice.

    "Maybe you need some rest," Dr. Paige says.

    What happened? Why would he suddenly be acting out like this? Maybe it happens often, I wouldn't know. He's not here for model behavior. But the worry I see in Chuck's, Minho's and Frypan's eyes tells a different story.

    "I don't need rest," Thomas says, his voice uneven. "This is your fault, this is all your fault."

    "I think it's time to go back to your room, Thomas," Dr. Paige says.

    Two bigger looking nurses walk up to Thomas in sync, the boy not glancing at them once. The rage isn't gone, but something changes in his face as they walk over. One of them grabs Thomas' arm and he shrugs them off, never breaking his eyes away from Dr. Paige.

    "I'll go," he says, nodding his head. He starts walking towards the door but stops before he gets there turning back, the nurses right behind him. "But I know what you did."

    "Okay, Thom—"

    "Aren't you gonna ask?" Thomas asks, the sadness in his voice overpowering the anger as more tears steadily run down his face.

    "Let's go," one of the nurses says then, grabbing Thomas' arm again and walking him towards the door. I want to yell for them to stop, but the fact that none of his friends have moved makes me think it'd be a bad idea.

    Last second, Thomas breaks out of the nurse's grasp and turns to look at Dr. Paige.

    "You killed Winston."

The rest of group is cancelled due to Thomas' outburst; and the ones that followed. It only took two minutes from Thomas leaving to everyone else leaving, Minho yelling and even Frypan and Aris speaking up. Chuck did a small bit of yelling, but it was quickly reduced to just sobbing. The chaos made everyone else erupt into talking and yelling.

    So, Dr. Paige declared the session to be over and calmly informed us that if anyone still wanted to share something, that they could come to her office. Minho and a few others were escorted to their rooms, and Chuck was let go with me after a panic attack that took three nurses to snap him out of.

    I told him he could walk back to our room without waiting for me, but he quietly told me it was alright and walked with me anyway. When I tried to get him to speak, he wouldn't say a word the whole way back, which I've decided is way worse than a breakdown.

    Then came lunch, which Thomas nor Minho made an appearance at. There was no talking there, either. Apparently information moves quickly around here.