Chapter 7

I was numb. I was trembling all over and I couldn't even begin to stop it. What started as just a few light drops now had turned into an endless stream of tears. I couldn't even tell what I was crying about anymore, whether it was the phone call from Austin, or just my all around pathetic excuse for a life. I could barely even feel the tears falling from my eyes. I wanted to scream my head off, I wanted to tear my hair out, I wanted the world to swallow me whole, to become nothing. I just wanted to disappear.

I felt like I had been lying there forever, sobbing my heart out. But there always came a point where I didn't willingly stop crying, but I was just too tired to. At least something could halt my life from spiraling out of control, even if it was just for a little while. So as my breathing slowed and my warm eyes became heavy with sleep, I slipped into blissful unconsciousness. 

That didn't last long though. Of course it didn't.

I was jolted awake by constant yelling and banging. I pried my eyes open to see nothing but the blackness around me, and a tiny sliver of light poking through the door that emanated from downstairs. I rolled on to my stomach and reached my hand out, clicking the lock on my phone from the nightstand. 1:10 it read in bright white numbers. I was about to ignore whatever had woken me up, eager to get back to the peaceful world of sleep when I felt cold hands latch around my arms, turning me over, slamming me onto my back.

The sudden terror had me fully awake now. I gazed up at Alan, who was on top of me, pinning me down to the bed. I could smell the alcohol on him and his eyes were clouded with tears. Had he been crying?

"Poor little Max." He emphasized every single word, his face inches from my own. His hands moved to my wrists, fingers digging into the skin. I could feel my bones shift under the pressure. I bit down on my lip to stop myself from crying out. It would only make things worse.

"You think Austin can save you? You think you can just run off to him?" Despite the alcohol, Alan was never one to slur his words. He almost seemed fully functional, except for the fact that any emotion he felt was now full force. He definitely wasn't a funny drunk. No, he was far, far from that.

Fresh tears poked at my eyes, but this time I didn't waste the energy trying to hold them back. I shook with fear as Alan pressed his body closer to mine.

"He doesn't care about you," He said softly, he lips grazing my ear. "No one does. I'm all you have. You're stuck here, baby."

I turned my face away from his as he tried to kiss me, but he just pressed his body harder on to mine. His fingers were still wrapped firmly around my wrists. I lost all feeling in my hands, but with everything I had I tried to push him off me, though only managing to turn us over. We were now laying on our sides, but that didn't stop him from pulling me closer. He was breathing heavily, giving me this odd look as he stared into my eyes. He let go of one of my wrists, his free hand trailing down my side, stopping at my waist. With the amount of fear coursing through my body, I felt like I was about to be sick.

"You don't matter to anyone but me." Alan practically whispered, each word drilling into my brain. His fingers started to play at the waistband of my jeans, and that's when I couldn't take it anymore. I wasn't going to give him any satisfaction tonight, especially while drunk. I was never one to fight back, but these past few times I had felt courageous. Where this sudden confidence was coming from, I wasn't really sure. Part of me liked it, part of me was terrified I was defying him like this. All I knew is that I had to get out of this situation before it went any further.

I began to push away from him when his hand shot back up and grabbed my side, trying to keep me in place. The pain on the nearly-healed bruises was excruciating as new wounds easily took their place. I could practically feel the blood pulsing under my skin again. I kicked at his legs, doing anything to free myself, but his grip on my side only tightened. I bit down so hard on my lip, I tasted blood. I writhed my one hand to try and escape his grasp, but I only felt the crunch of my bones under my skin.