“You had no right to get involved in this,” I stated. I was angry – just a little bit – that he’d butted in on my business. But I still felt the exaltation from realizing I was over Alice. And I wouldn’t have come to that conclusion if Sky had not left us on our own… even if it was under false pretext.

“Are you angry with me?” He asked timidly.

“No,” I sat down next to him. “For once, you didn’t mess up.”

“What do you mean ‘for once’?” He nudged me with his elbow, pretending to be offended. “So, you two sorted things out?”

“Yeah,” I replied with a small smile. “We talked and I realized I’m over her. Completely.”

“That’s good,” the blond commented, smiling as well. “Otherwise things would’ve been awkward between you and Caden would’ve gotten angry… Why are you frowning all of a sudden?”

“I’m worried. We were right that she’d had a nightmare and I think I convinced her to tell Caden about it.” I sighed and lay back on the couch.

Feelings of doubt and guilt were creeping up in my mind now.

What if I’d made a mistake?

What if Alice wasn’t ready for this conversation and I forced her to have it?

If something happened between them because of that, it would be my fault.

I sighed.

Why did I get involved?

I guess Skyler wasn’t the only one who was butting in.

“Hey, do you know what the shortest personal story is, Kee?”

I turned my head towards him.

What the Hell was he trying to do?

Couldn’t he see I was upset?

He looked nervous and hopeful so maybe he’d picked up on my bad mood and decided to cheer me up. His nonsense was probably going to annoy me but at least it would distract me from thoughts about Caden and Alice.

“No,” I replied curtly.

“I.”

“You what?”

I,” he emphasized as if that was supposed to make a difference. “You don’t get it, do you? That’s the shortest personal story.”

I stared at his rosy face. Once again I thought about how much he looked like an angel with his blond hair and bright blue eyes. Or at least like a cherub. A skinny cherub, dressed in a designer while button up and purposefully ripped jeans.

“ ‘I’ is the whole story,” he explained again.

“Is this supposed to be funny?”

“It’s supposed to be clever and entertaining,” he murmured, his enthusiasm diminishing.

“Well, it’s neither,” I concluded, making him pout. “You should really eat more,” I added, nodding my head towards his torso.

“I’m naturally skinny,” he justified. “I don’t even need to work out.”

“You’d look better if you had some muscle on those sticks you call arms.”

“I have muscle,” he protested, rolling his sleeves up. “See?”

In all fairness, he really had well-defined arms: not pumped, but shapely. I still wasn’t going to let him off that easily. I enjoyed messing with him and Skyler Miller was particularly sensitive about his appearance.