vii | Money

Jamie Copeland was very busy. Her hands moving in a pattern as Vera cocked her head this way and that to get a view of her patient.

"What do you want Vera Ann?" Her mother grumbled, trying carefully to avoid distraction.

"I had a question."

"Your father got out early today, why didn't you ask him?" She questioned, and peered up as Vera cocked her head back to a straight position.

"Well, it included a little something something-"

"No money you have a job."

"Steven doesn't!" Vera protested as she turned to the doorway where Steven was leaning, his eyes closed as he silently shook his head.

"You guys shoo, go home, or find something to do together." Jamie ordered, and shoved the two from the room. Slamming the door shut behind them.

"I told you that she wouldn't give us anything." Vera hissed, as Steven ran a hand through his short locks.

"Well Dad wouldn't give us anything either." He pushed the door open, and the two headed toward the Hyundai.

"Shut up." Vera continued to hiss, moving to the passenger seat as Steven sped off, heading toward the recluse of their own home. It was a surprising sight to see the tall tan male in the driveway. Standing with his hands in his jean pockets. Watching as the girl got out of the car.

"We should've just hiked." Vera complained, turning back toward the car as Sam protested.

"Vera please-" Steven went to step ahead of his sister, trying to protect any more mental harm that he could cause. To him, Sam was not a good guy. Anytime he seemed to be around trouble arose. "I can explain." He said over Steven's shoulder, and Vera pushed her brother to the side slightly she did not need his protection. Jamie Copeland had taught her well enough that she had enough guts to take on anyone.

"Go inside Steven, I'll be in in a minute." Vera commanded, watching her brother stare at her, his own blue orbs watching for a long minute before he disappeared into the house. No doubt watching through a window.  She inhaled deeply before turning her attention to Sam.

"What can you explain? That you weren't flirting? That the relationship was a hoax, that I don't know, that you weren't with someone to begin with?" Vera nearly shouted, all of which Sam really wasn't paying mind to. The bruising under her eye had lightened over the few days apart, but it was still a yucky brown. He felt his hand reach toward her cheek.

"Your eye is still hurt." He mumbled, but Vera shrugged his hand away. Moving back in a defense move. She reminded herself of Izzy words. Sam was not going anywhere. He would stay in this town, with these people.

"Obviously your girlfriend hit me, unless she isn't anymore-"

"Well, I-"

"Oh my, really Sam?" Vera yelled, the driveway was no doubt collecting eyes now. "So you come here, to say some stupid apology, and you haven't even left her?"

"To be honest you've done a lot of the talking."

"Well I have a lot to say to some cheating, inconsiderate asshole."

"I'm, it's not like that. I can't control this!" He burst, his hands running vividly through his hair. Vera stared back at him.

"Control what Sam? Yourself, cause that's a serious issue."

"I can't control the way I feel about you, it's not my choice."

"Oh that's rich. Thanks for stringing me along." She responded, and moved forward, his hand latching to her wrist as his body began to shake. Vera stared in slight fear at this movement. No one had ever dared to touch her against her will.

"Let go of me Sam if you know what's good for you."

"Don't do this to me Vera, I don't want to lose you." He pleaded, his voice breaking as Vera stared at him for a long moment.

"You already lost me the second you said hello." She pulled back, her arm finally retracting as Dana Copeland made his way onto the front porch, staring at Sam. For a long moment the two stared, the young woman rushing past her father and up the stairs. Tears welling in her eyes. Dana saw a lot of himself in the two figures. His daughter's uncanny ability to fall passionately, and the devotion that laid in Sam's eyes.

But he still could not justify how different the two seemed. The truck parked along side the siblings car. The contrast in their looks.

Vera and Sam were not a match, not one in a million years.

Sam knew that, Vera knew that. But one thing stood out to him.

The fact that Sam still tried despite it all.