i | Fresh

The shifting of fabric echoed silently in the car. Vera mouthing the words to lyrics lowly as she watched her brother reach to turn his blinker on. Steven Copeland was new to the wheel. Recently acquiring his license before their move. It was all so exciting for him, which was a pleasant surprise to Vera who was overly genial to relinquish the keys to her baby brother.

Vera despised driving. Though the idea in fact was not the problem. Her problem was the laws she had to follow, and run ins with the law never left a happy expression on her parents faces. The two siblings exited the vehicle as Steven once more signaled for his parking space. The use of that leaving a smirk to trail over Vera's lips. A majority of the students caught Vera's eye. All squeamish as they noticed the wildness that hid in them. They had a glint to them, that was not entirely maliciously, but not overly friendly. Steven was the exact opposite. His face still chubby with boyish cuteness that was slowly succumbing to puberty, and the changes of adulthood. His body had grown nearing six feet that far surpassed Vera's five'four frame. His hair was left black like the top of Vera's. Untouched by the chemicals that had consumed the ends of his sister's long locks.

The two moved through the groups of students, and toward the maroon bricked building. Steven was a gentleman holding the door open for his older sister who moved toward the front counter, and paused as the plump receptionist danced on the other side of the yellow counter. The two siblings could see her mouth moving to the beat as well. Vera and Steven's eyes meeting for a split moment before they looked elsewhere, holding back the smirk that was daring to break way over their lips.

"Oh!" She gasped once she had noticed the two standing at the counter. Moving at a quick pace to the folders pushed just to the side of them. "You two must be Jamie, and Dana's kids." She gushed, before looking up at the two, and looking back down. "I was just in there for a cleaning yesterday. They were talking about how excited the two of you were." She moved through the files, snagging the two white pieces of paper.

"We're certainly excited." Vera spoke, the sarcasm left in her tone as it melted over the green filled room. Plants were spread all over the counter, and vines crawled up the wall, trying to break toward the window.

"We really are excited." Steven covered, smiling so widely that Vera blinked at him. Wondering if it hurt his cheeks to put forth so much effort. The redheaded lady bought into it. Handing them the paper, and explaining how to get to their classes. Another smaller sheet of paper was given as well, with her words of explanation to get each teacher to sign it and hand it back. Steven and Vera left moving through the slightly misting rain. It clouded around their faces, and lightly dampened them as they moved along the concrete sidewalk that led toward the classes in the separated buildings.

"You were rude." Steven deadpanned as Vera brushed a curled strand behind her ear. For a long momentary second she wanted to scream. But she declined the motive, since it was her own fault for doing such a hairstyle in the rainiest place in the continental U.S.

"It's called sarcasm sweetie." The retort was crude, and earned an eye roll from her brother.

"Whatever you say. I have football practice after school, so mom's picking you up." He mentioned offhandedly earning a disgruntled groan.

"Me? Why doesn't she pick you up?" She grumbled, but Steven laughed lightly.

"Uhm, I need the car, to drive home."

"Isn't it a little late to get on the team?"

"It is, but they want me to get established in the Forks community." Steven voiced, looking at his map as he decided which path to take.

"Of course." It was no shocker her brother would be the good one. Moving to join teams, and discover new friend groups. It was just so Steven to her. He was a good kid, good future, lots of friends, who wouldn't want him to be his friend? Vera moved to one side of the cement, as Steven took another turn, the siblings separating.

It took a few moments to find the English class. The number blackened on the side of the brick building. A balding man was peering in numerous directions, but paused under the blue eyed glance of the female.

"Ms. Copeland?" His voice was peculiar, sounding slightly annoying to Vera, but in that regard she found most voices to fall in a similar category.

"Uh, yes. Mr. Mason?" Vera replied, running her hand through her hair, and staring back into his brown eyes. For a moment her eyes scanned back to the list of classes making sure her guess of names was correct.

"Do you have a slip?" He pestered, moving his hand forward as the girl handed him the smaller piece of paper. He turned toward the classroom, dismissing Vera as she moved to the racks in the small alcove just by the room. Hurriedly she hung her windbreaker, and backpack, snagging a binder before entering the classroom. Voices shouted, and paper flung like a stereotypical movie from the eighties.

"Simmer down! This is Vera, Vera Copeland." He shouted over the voices. The room did fall flat, the sound coming to a halt as all eyes fell onto the new student.

"What are you waiting for, introduce yourself!" He carried on, earning Vera's deadly eye-roll.

"I'm Vera, obviously. I'm new." She informed the occupants, and moved through the desks to the last row, sitting beside a girl with black hair, and purple rimmed glasses. Her teeth were flashy blinding her. It wasn't entirely unappreciated, a warm face was just the thing Vera really needed for the day.

"I'm Angela Weber. Sorry about Mason, he's always like that." The enveloping smile brightened Vera's face. Perhaps, this tiny indication was proof that Forks would not be the death of her.