Chapter 36

Hey guys, I know that this chapter is long overdue, and I am super sorry, like a million times. I kind of dropped off the face of the planet for a while there, haha. For some reason I just got out of writing and I'm so sorry, and I know that I probably lost a bunch of fans, but for those of you who stuck around, thanks :) This will be the second to last chapter, so I hope you like it!

Beckham O'Neil

When I got home, Paul was pacing back and forth and Jane was cooking dinner in the kitchen. Paul looked up, relieved. "Good, you're home."

I nodded, "Yep."

"How was tryouts?"

"Good, but I'm going to guess that's not why you look frantic."

He shook his head, "No. I'm glad track went well, but Coach Chambers from Texas called again."

"Really?"

Paul nodded, "Yeah, he said that their last game before Bowl games is tomorrow, and he was hoping that you would want to watch them play from the sidelines! He offered you an official visit to Texas!"

I smiled. I knew this was exactly what Paul wanted. I knew that he was pushing for me to go to his alma mater.  Even though he had told me countless times it was my decision, I knew where his heart was set on me going. "That's great."

He handed me the phone, "Well, call him back!"

Paul's excitement started to get to me. I quickly dialed the number that was on the piece of paper. After a few rings, Coach Chambers answered, "Hello?"

"Hey, Coach, this is Beck O'Neil."

"Oh, hey Beck. I just got off the phone with your father a few minutes ago. How are you?"

I looked over at Paul who was bouncing on his toes. I couldn't help but laugh. I had to turn away. "I'm good. How are you?"

"I'm glad to hear that. I'm good. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Paul already told you what I offered."

I nodded even though he couldn't see me. "Yes, sir."

"Okay, well, I know it's pretty sudden, but we wanted you to come and meet the team, meet the rest of the coaching staff and watch a good game of football. What do you say? We are really interested in having you play for us next year."

I smiled, "I would love to come to the game."

"Fantastic. I know you don't live too far from Austin, would you mind driving down today? I think it would be very beneficial if you go to spend the night in a dorm and maybe even attend a class in the morning."

I looked over at Paul, who was smiling from ear to ear, "Yes, Sir, I believe I can make it."

"Great."

I hung up the phone after getting the meeting time and place. I looked up at Paul, "So, do you mind driving me to Austin? I kind of have an official all expenses paid for visit and."

He jumped clear out of his seat and wrapped me in a hug. I stood there shocked. "I am so proud of you Beck."

I laughed and patted him on the back, "Thanks, Paul. Will you let me go so I can get my stuff? We need to be there in an hour."

He chuckled, "Yeah. Hurry up, though."

When Paul picked me up after the game the next day, he was still on cloud 9. He made me spill every last detail of my visit, and I gladly talked. It was the most fun I had in a long time. The football team took me out for dinner after I had arrived. I stayed with one of them in their dorm room, and the next morning I went to class with him. I had gotten a little taste of what college was going to be like, and I loved every minute of it. The game was awesome to say the least. Texas won in an exciting match. "All in all it was a great opportunity," I concluded to Paul.

"I'm glad to hear that! Did they offer you anything?"

I shook my head, "No, they said they had already given their scholarships for the upcoming year, but that's not to say I can't get one later."

He nodded, "What do you think?"

I smiled as we approached the house, "I think it's a great option, and one I'll be considering."

His smile grew even wider, "I knew you would like it."

I laughed, "I did."

We parked in the drive way and I grabbed my bag that was loaded with more Longhorn gear than any one person needed. My smile faded as we walked through the front door. Carroll, my red haired social worker, was sitting on the couch chatting up Jane.

"Beckham."

I frowned, "What are you doing here, Carroll?"

"I got the news last night."

I dropped my bag by the door, "What news?"

"You better sit down, Sweetheart."

I was confused and a little on the apprehensive side. "Okay." I sat down on the arm rest facing Carroll. "What is it?"

She sighed, "Well, it's your father, Beckham."

I rolled my eyes, like I cared about him. I had lost all interest in what she had to say next. I hadn't seen or spoken to my father since I was 10, when he tried to get me back. He was probably still the pathetic and abusive drunk that he was then. I didn't care either. He could drink himself to death and it would have no affect on me.

"Beckham, honey, your father passed away last night."

My eyes shot up to meet hers. "What?" I was surprised. I hadn't expected the man to actually die.

"He was in a drunk driving accident."

I scoffed, "Like that was hard to guess."

She shook her head, "No, Beckham, he was the victim. Your father has been sober for six years now."

I crossed my arms, "Well, good for him."

Jane's mouth dropped, "Beckham!"

"I meant about the being sober part." I paused and looked back at Carroll, "So why are you telling me this?"

Carroll looked from Jane to me, "Well, he is your father Beckham, I thought you'd like to know."

I shrugged, "It's not like he would have cared if I was the one to die. He didn't give a shit about me, I don't see why I should."

Jane scolded me again, "Beckham, how could you say that?"

I looked over at her, "What? Do you want me to sit here and act like I'm upset about this? Do you want me to act like I care? Because I don't. I'm not distraught by this news, I could really care less about this. The man was a drunk and a lousy father, he's been dead to me for 13 years." I stood up, "Now, if you will excuse me, I'm going to my room."

"Wait." Carroll's voice called me back. I stopped in my tracks, "He remarried and has a family now."

"Thanks for throwing that in my face as well. I'm glad he found a way to replace his old family. I guess we just weren't good enough." I started to walk off again.

Carroll sighed, "Beckham, you didn't let me finish. He has a family, but in his will, he left everything to you."

I stared at the wall in front of me. "Well, that just makes it all better, now doesn't it?"

"It's a lot of money, Beckham. Now, you can't have it until you turn 18 in January, but he also left you a letter."

I sighed, "I don't want it."

Jane spoke up again, "Take the letter."

I turned around and reluctantly took the letter from Carroll. I stormed off to my room before anyone could say another thing. I didn't care that my father had died. Like I had told them, he had been dead to me for a long time.