Chapter 23

Soooo two chapters in one day, is that a record for me? I wrote this chapter and was almost in tears. <3

Beckham O’Neil

I was seven and beyond excited to attend my first birthday party at the neighborhood pool. My father had packed my towel, goggles, present and sunscreen into a bag and handed it to me. “Now, Beckham, make sure, whatever you do, don’t take off your shirt.” I nodded and he smacked me on the head. “Did you hear me?”

“Y-y-yes Sir.” I whimpered. “Don’t take off my shirt. I understand, Daddy.”

He smiled, “Good, now go.” He opened my door for me. The pool was only down the street so he wasn’t too worried about me getting lost. Not that he would be if it was miles away. I walked there by myself. The street was quiet so I hummed to myself to make up for the silence.

When I got to the pool, I was greeted warmly by Carter’s mother. She was a nice lady, and was the reason I had been invited. Carter never like me and would always beat me up on the play ground, like I didn’t get that enough at home. I handed her the present from my bag. “I got Carter the new Nintendo game. It looks like a lot of fun.”

She smiled at me sweetly and took the gift. “I’m sure Carter will love it. All the kids are already in the pool, so if you want to set your stuff over here and hop on in the pool you can.”

I smiled, “Thank you.” I set my stuff down where she told me and pulled out my goggles and strapped them around my head.

I started to run off, but Carter’s mom called me back. “Wait, Beckham. You can’t go swimming in your shirt. You’ll ruin it.”

I shook my head, “That’s okay. I’d rather keep my shirt on.”

She smiled, “Why? Are you shy about yourself?”

I shook my head, “No, Daddy just says to keep a shirt on.”

She knitted her eyebrows together in worry, “Why would he say that?”

I paused. I shouldn’t have said that. “So, so, so that way I won’t get sunburned.”

She nodded, “Oh. Okay.” I started walking off. “Beckham, wait.”

I turned back around again, “Yes Ma’am?”

She held up a bottle of sunscreen. “I’ve got some sunscreen you can use. I just don’t want that shirt to stretch out.”

I shook my head, “No thank you. I’ll be fine.”

Carter’s mom grabbed my arm and pulled be over to a bench where she sat down. “Beckham, take off your shirt.”

I crossed my arms, “No Ma’am.”

“Is there something that your father doesn’t want me to see?”

I shook my head, “No Ma’am.”

She raised her eyebrows, “Then what’s the problem?”

I gulped. “I’m insecure about my body. I feel fat.”

She rolled her eyes, “Beckham, this is serious.”

I looked her in the eyes, “Please.”

That’s when I had confirmed her fears. I saw in her eyes that something clicked and she had what she needed to be justified. She spun me around so fast I didn’t see it coming. I felt her pull the back of my shirt up and gasp. “Oh my, are those, burns?” She let my shirt to fall. I reluctantly turned back around. “Beckham, did your father do this to you?”