Chapter 33

Sorry it took me so long for this update, butttttt I hope it was worth it! :) 

P.S. I notice that I apologize alot in these author notes, so, I'm sorry for that :) (There I go again)

Beckham O'Neil 

I didn't come out of my room for the rest of the day. Jane came in every once in a while and set a plate of food down next to me. At first I would just stare at the food in hate, but eventually I gave in and ate it. When she came back, it brought a smile to her face. I would look away, not being able to stand looking at her smile in fear I'd smile back.

I didn't say anything to them when I left in the morning. As I walked towards Emma's house, I tried to think of what to say. I've always had a hard time coming up with words, especially when those words actually have some meaning. I didn't want Emma to leave. All I really knew about her was that she was a troubled pregnant girl with no friends and parents that shipped her away when they didn't want her anymore. I wanted to know the  Emma before all of this happened, and now that she was going back to Tennessee, I would never know.

When I got to her house, I knocked and waited on the front steps. Coach Stevens opened the door. He gave me a confused look, "Can I help you, Beck?"

"I wanted to say good bye to Emma. She said she was leaving today."

He shook his head, "She left yesterday."

"She told me yesterday that she was leaving today."

"Did she not say good bye? When she went to find you, she said she was going to say good bye."

I kicked a rock. "Well, she didn't."

Coach Stevens frowned, "I'm sorry, Beck, but she's gone."

I nodded, "Thanks anyways, Coach."

He closed the door as I turned and started walking away. I didn't know where to go now. I couldn't go back to the house, not with the what I had said yesterday. I didn't want to talk to them anyways. In a few minutes I found myself sitting down in a chair at the counter at the diner. I didn't order anything, I just sat there and stared off into space. It's what I would be doing at home, but the buzz of people that surrounded me was better than Paul yelling at his football game.

I heard someone sit down next to me, I looked over to see Lacey. "Hey, Beck."

I barely smiled, "Hi."

She frowned, "So I heard that Emma is moving back to Tennessee, is it true?" I nodded and her frown turned into a smiled, "Good riddance.  She was rude." I closed my eyes and ignored her. "I mean seriously, who does she think she is? I'm glad she's gone, maybe things can finally get back to normal."

I stood up, "You know, I think I'm going to go home. I'll see you later." I couldn't stand listening to her anymore. I like Lacey, but I couldn't handle it anymore. I had to leave. I'd rather be in the uncomfortable silence at home than listen to her ramble on about how she doesn't like Emma.

When I walked through the front door I froze. Both Paul and Jane were sitting on the couch, facing the front door as if they were waiting for me to come home. I looked back and forth between the two of them.

Jane smiled at me, "Why don't you sit down, Beck?" There was no mention of her nickname for me, nor did the smile match her tone. It was almost like she was forcing the smile.

I cleared my throat and averted my eyes, "No thanks." I made my way towards my room when Paul stood up.

"No. Come here."

I stopped dead in my tracks. "I'd rather not."

"I don't care what you'd rather do. You're going to sit your ass down in the couch." Paul's tone made a shiver run down my spine. Any kid would have ran over to the couch and did as he told. The thing  was that I'm not any kid.

"I'll be in my room." I walked away from the living room and into my bedroom. I plopped myself on the bed and put the pillow over my face. I could hear the muffled sounds of Paul and Jane arguing but I couldn't make out their words, jut that both of them were angry. I sighed and sat up. The pillow was laying in my lap. I picked it up and threw it against the wall then fell back on the bed. I just wanted things the way they were.  I wanted Emma back.

I hadn't noticed that the fighting had stopped until there was a soft knock on my door. I didn't even bother answering it. I was expecting Jane to come in, but instead when the door opened, Paul was standing at the threshold.

"Hey, Beck."

I stared at him.

"So, how was your day?"

I blinked. This was how he was going to start this conversation?

"Well, my day was fantastic, if your wondering."

I knew where this was going. They had decided to send me back. They decided that they didn't want me. Who can blame them with the way I had been acting? I was surprised they hadn't gotten rid of me sooner. Maybe Paul just wanted me for the season so he could make play-offs. Normally parents avoid this conversation, usually they just get Carroll to break the news to me. It softens the blow for them.

Paul sighed, "Beck, I just-."

"I know. You're getting rid of me."

Paul squished his eyebrows together and a perplexed look took over his face, "What on Earth are you talking about?"

"I understand, I saved my trash bags from the last relocation. I'll get started packing."

Paul shook his head, "You don't understand, Beck."

"I do. Carroll has explained it to me several times over the years. I just don't fit in with y'all. It's okay. I don't fit in with any family. It's no surprise that I'm leaving this one too."

"Will you just shut up and let me speak?" I didn't say anything. Partly because I was shocked Paul actually told me to shut up, and the other part I was curious as to what he had to say. "We aren't getting rid of you."

"What?"

"I don't know where you got a crazy idea like that." He sighed, "Beck, I wanted to come in here to tell you something and it defiantly doesn't involve you packing, unless you just really don't like it here."

I paused, thinking he would finish. "What is it?"

"Well, to be honest, it hurt us, what you said yesterday." I opened my mouth to speak, but Paul put his hand up to silence me. "You said that we didn’t need to help you, that you can take care of yourself. Now, I know that that's probably true, but you don't see it from our point of view. Beck, you may not need our help, but we want to give it to you. We care enough about you that we want to make sure your taking care of yourself. Jane and I are just looking out for you, I know that you don't need it, but we think of you as our own son and we don't want something to happen to you."

I couldn't help the smile that spread across my face. "You're the first person that has ever said that to me."

Paul smiled and then grabbed me and pulled me in for a hug. "We love you, Beck."