Everyone knew of her father's high status yet they never brought it up.

The two sisters had fallen into synching steps, Haifa quietly listening to Diya as she rambled on about some issue her and her friends had the other day.

As they got closer to the central road that ran directly through the city, beating drums and cheers filled their ears. Crowds of people lined the entire street waving miniature flags of crimson nestling the golden royal crest. It was like the entire city had come out to welcome the battalion home. After pushing their way through the crowd, mainly Diya pulling Haifa along, they got to the front and watched as suited men riding on horses, all generals, of course, led the foot soldiers to the city centre, where a grandiose water fountain carved out of pure marble sat in the open expanse that was the city square. The men were free to leave once they had spotted their families in the crowd. Shrieks of delight filled the city square as women and children welcomed back their brothers, husbands and fathers home.

"There's Baba!" Diya squealed beside her, pointing to the grey-bearded rider sat on a familiar-looking chestnut horse.

"Baba!" Diya hollered, waving her arms over her head to catch their father's attention. Thankfully, Diya didn't need to embarrass herself longer because their father spotted them, waving back with a comforting smile.

They waited until he reached the marble fountain before Diya ran forward throwing her arms over her father the moment he dismounted from his horse. Haifa steadily walked over, patting Tufahha's wet muzzle. Her father's Arabian rabicano mare snuffed her hand, familiar with Haifa's scent and touch. The horse had been a part of their family for almost a decade, and from a young age, Haifa held a special love for her father's horse.

"My precious daughters, I have missed you both so dearly. Mashallah, you both have become more beautiful since the day I left and I'm sure it's because your mother is feeding you well," Abdul Hameed teased, engulfing Haifa in his arms.

"I think you're being way too honest Baba, my cheeks have become fuller,"

Her words stemmed a chuckle from him. As she examined his face, Haifa noticed the dark circles that shadowed his eyes and her father's ageing skin looked paler than usual. Other than that, he was clear of any injury and the emerald spark hadn't extinguished from his eyes. She would leave her questions for later, and so they began making their way back home, her father bidding farewell to his comrades whilst Haifa took Tufahha's reigns.

"That's her isn't it, the eldest daughter of the General,"

Haifa whipped her head to the sound of the voices, but she could not find the source.

"The one with the scar?"

"Yes,"

Haifa turned back again, her gaze landing on a group of snickering girls who looked to be around her age.

"Too bad no one wants to marry her," they giggled, before shuffling off and disappearing in the crowd. Haifa tried to ignore the feeling in her chest, when Tuffaha muzzled her back, pushing her forward. She smiled at the horse's effort and patted her nose, before continuing forward, finding her sister and father had gone ahead without her.

Once she and the horse had caught up, she wrapped an arm around her father's as they walked home, silently battling with the whispers in her head that threatened to weave through her mind again.

***

"So the rumours are true?" Yumna asked as her husband told them the outcome of the expedition over the dinner table, enjoying the lavish dinner she and her daughters had prepared. Her husband nodded in response.