Chapter 1 - Pendants and Power

The first day back to school is always the worst, for mundanes. And I can understand why they would dread it, imagine having to spend six hours doing math, english and science 5 days a week. I can't say that I go through the same thing though, I spend six hours a day doing training, learning the history of the shadow world and memorizing runes. Being a shadowhunter comes with heaps of responsibilities too though. Such as keeping the world safe from demons and stuff. 'No biggie,' my friend Simon would say about it.
"Clarissa, I know you are awake! If you are not down here in 2 minutes I will refuse to drive you to school and you will have to walk!" My mother called from downstairs. I rolled my eyes and threw my red curls into a pony tail, I couldn't do anything elaborate in 2 minutes. With one last look in the mirror at my black skinny jeans, olive green tank top, my mother's black leather jacket and some black training boots I smiled and scooped my bag off the floor before exiting my room.

"One minute, Clary Fairchild," I heard my mother taunt. I began bounding down the stairs and then down the hall to the kitchen. As I entered I saw Luke leaning against the counter with a mug of what smelt of coffee in his hand.

"Now, let me take a look at you," he said placing down the mug and scratching his chin with his free hand.

"Do I pass?" I asked spinning around in a circle and then grabbing an apple from the fruit bowl.

"You look just like your mother," Luke replied with a chuckle, "Stop growing, I order you."

"I'll try," I laughed and gave him a quick hug before walking through the kitchen to the entrance hall.

"Isn't that my jacket," my mom's voice was stern but the sweet smile on her face declared that she was joking.

"Well, it was going unused," I copied her smile, "so technically I am recycling."

My mother laughed and then turned to my brother who had just emerged from the kitchen behind me. When I rotated my body my attention was drawn immediately to the silver pendant in his hands.

"Nathan, that isn't my pendant by any chance?" I asked, not being able to contain my joy and dropping my apple.

"Nah, this one is for Jace," he replied, snickering. Still, he gestured for me to turn around with his free hand.

"Har, har," I mocked as I rotated my body, I saw that Luke had joined us and was standing next to my mother with his arm behind her. I was quickly distracted by the cold metal hitting the skin below my neck. As soon as it was on I felt its magic. It was almost like a surge of power began running through my veins straight into my heart, "Heh, I knew you said it would make me feel different, but I didn't think it would be this different."

"Yeah well, they were enchanted by Magnus Bane this year," he rolled his eyes, "You were lucky, that hasn't happened since the school first opened."

"Talking about the school, if we do not leave soon, you are both going to be late for the first day," Jocelyn exclaimed and my brother and I looked at each other quickly before grabbing our bags and rushing to the car.

To my disappointment, he got to the front seat first. I pouted as I slid into the backseat of the car. Once I had my bag on the seat beside me I crossed my arms, I continued to do this all the way to the institute. During the ride, I realized I had completely forgotten my apple as well.

The school was located next to the New York Institute which made it very easy to meet with our Lightwood friends and Jace, of course. Both Nathan and I piled out of the car in front of the Institute and and I jogged up to the front steps and settled down on them. It was now that I noticed what Jonathan was wearing; his black jeans and black shirt with sleeves that went to just below his elbow.