Chapter Sixteen

I paced in the outer hall, waiting for the medical team to come talk to me. Councilman Midstone had sent for his best doctors, but I hadn't heard anything in the two hours since they'd arrived.

I'd composed and sent air messages to Davison and Gabby, but neither of them had answered. I felt like I was back inside that bubble I'd created. Isolated. Unable to breathe.

The door behind me crashed open, and I spun around. A nurse gestured to me, a smile on her face. "He keeps asking for you, so you might as well come back."

I followed her through the sterile hall, lighter than a moment before, but unsure of what I'd see when I came face-to-face with Rusk.

She pulled back a curtain, and I saw my mentor sitting up in bed, that childish grin on his face. "Adam," he said, and that was all. But he said it with such affection, it made me smile at the same time tears pricked my eyes.

"Airmaster." I crossed the room and hugged him. "You're okay."

"Thanks to you," he said as I straightened. "If you hadn't sent that air current to assist me, I don't think I would've made it."

My throat had closed, preventing me from speaking, so I just smiled and nodded.

"You saved us," he continued. "You saved the city of Rhyss. I'm so proud of you."

I shook my head, indicating that I didn't deserve his praise or his pride. "I used a knife," I said. "I reverted to my sentry training." I looked at the tiled floor. "Theo was right; my brother was right. I'm not a real Airmaster."

Rusk remained quiet for a few minutes, a sign that he agreed with me. Finally, he said, "Adam, look at me."

I raised my eyes to his, which were filled with kindness and love. "You are the best Airmaster I have ever had the privilege to train. You can do things with air it takes others years to learn."

That he thought so humbled me, but I didn't believe him.

"Did you hear the jet stream?" he asked, and his tone had a challenge to it.

"Yes, but—"

"But nothing. You heard it. Only an Airmaster can strip away the protective currents and hear the jet stream. In fact, I know Airmasters on functioning Councils of major city-states that have never heard the jet stream." He smiled, but this time it held compassion as well as determination. "What did it say to you?"

"You mean it doesn't always say the same thing?"

Rusk chuckled. "Tornadoes, no. The jet stream can provide answers to an Airmaster in a time of need. It signifies that one has ultimate control over their emotions and the air. And that, Adam, is why I am exceedingly proud of you. Just eight months ago, I thought you might be better served by one of our mental health technicians. You have overcome so much." He looked away and wiped his eyes, so when he looked back at me I couldn't tell if he'd actually shed a tear.

"Accept it," he said. "You might be an extremely skilled sentry, but you are also an exceptional Airmaster."

#

I opened the door to the fifth and last boxcar on the train. If Liz and her away team weren't in here, I didn't know where else to look.

"Adam?"

I pulled myself into the car and strode to her. I held her at arm's length, noticing a bit of dried blood in the corner of her mouth. "Are you okay?"

"Yes, we're fine." She pointed to the men behind her, who had all stood. "Where's Rusk?"

"He's staying in Rhyss for a few days until he feels up to full strength," I said. "But I had to check on you. You were in the open and...." I cleared my throat. "But you're okay." I pulled her to my in a friendly embrace. "You're okay."