Chapter Ten

I tried to pay attention during Liz's meeting, but my mind kept wandering to Airmaster Rusk and if he'd learned anything new about Theo. The sharp worry kept squeezing my stomach until when we took a break, I pulled Liz aside.

"I'm sorry," I said. "But I need to go see my mentor."

She didn't hear the fear in my voice, or notice the way my eyebrows pulled too tight. She hugged me, said she was glad I was back, and turned back to the room. Gabby, however, saw everything.

She slid her fingers between mine and squeezed. "See you at lunch?" she asked, and her eyes enticed me so much I suddenly didn't need to see my mentor. She held worry and compassion in her expression, and I pulled her into an embrace.

"See you at lunch," I confirmed, my voice only catching on the last syllable. I turned and left before she could hear any more weaknesses.

I found Airmaster Rusk in his office, the balcony wide open to the air outside. "Ah, Adam," he said as if we hadn't met in the middle of the night. "I believe we agreed we wouldn't start lessons until Monday."

"I know," I said. "I'm just wondering what Davison said about Theo."

He reached into the pocket of his robe. "He said he would find out what he could."

"How is he going to do that?"

My mentor looked at me with caution in his eyes. I wanted to read his mind, but I knew it would be fruitless. "Tell me," I pleaded. I didn't know why the issue of Theo mattered so much to me, only that it did.

"Another of Alex's former Councilmembers is still alive," Airmaster Rusk said slowly. "He is a mentor here at the Academy."

I flopped into the chair, momentarily stunned. "Here?" I managed to say, followed by, "Who?" Already my mind spun around the idea of meeting with him and asking what Theo was up to.

"Davison has already done that," my mentor said, reading my thoughts. "You are a partially trained Airmaster. Your focus should be on Liz as she prepares for her internship—and on completing the list you provided me." He turned his back on me to gaze out the window. "This is not your concern."

His words rang true, and yet fear still twisted my insides. "But what if—?"

"Davison is the most powerful Firemaker this Union has ever known. He is wise and forward-thinking. Let him handle the situation." The finality in Rusk's tone prevented me from speaking further.

The wind came into the room, joyful and vibrant, only to leave subdued. I could not stand this silence between us. "I'm sorry," I said. "I will focus on my own tasks."

"I'm happy to hear it." Airmaster Rusk faced me again, his grin in its proper place. "Now, I believe you were going to do something upon returning from your vacation. Before we resume lessons on Monday?" He arched his eyebrows.

True fear squirmed through me now. "Yes," I said, and cleared my throat. "I have scheduled a visit with the dungeon master to see my brother tomorrow morning."

Rusk nodded and sat behind his desk. "Is there anything you need before you go?" His voice was kind, soft—the way I imagined a father would speak to his son.

A rush of gratitude welled in my throat, so I only shook my head.

He nodded again, and I escaped his office to dine with my Council. I hadn't told anyone about the visit with Felix. As I watched Gabby laugh with Liz, I knew I should. But I couldn't bring myself to dampen their mood, or add to her already full load of responsibilities. However, before the lunch hour ended, she stood and gestured for me to come with her.