Chapter Two

I escaped Gabby's superior room, making a lame excuse about being hungry even though we'd just finished dinner. I didn't intrude on her thoughts to know what she was thinking—I didn't need to. Her face displayed her apprehension, her confusion, and her guilt.

I wished she wouldn't feel guilty, but I learned a long time ago that I couldn't change how someone else felt. Felix didn't understand why I would give up the life of a sentry for the life of an Airmaker. I'd tried to explain it to him. Sentries functioned in almost an identical role as Airmasters. We both pledged our talent, our time, and our lives to a Firemaker.

I hurried past my quarters and outside, thinking the fresh evening air would relieve some of the pent-up frustration I felt. As soon as the breeze met my face, I could breathe easier. But the release only lasted a moment, and then the crushing hopelessness crowded back into my lungs.

I didn't know how to make Gabby understand why I'd done what I'd done. I could usually distract myself from my worries by training, exercise, or hunting. Since the only option I had at the moment was exercise, I took off at a dead sprint, hoping to outrun some of my problems.

#

Eight days later, Davison opened the Academy. Finally. He'd sent for Elemental mentors throughout the United Territories, and it had taken them a few days to get everything in order and arrive in Tarpulin. The diplomacy wing filled up as mentors and students continued to receive, accept, and carry out their assignments.

Elemental training was scheduled each morning, seven days a week. I'd overheard the inner workings of Davison's mind, and he fretted about the loss of so many Elementals. Alex had buried over thirteen hundred here in Tarpulin alone, and those were people from all over the Territories who had already completed years of training. Their deaths had been a huge loss of talent, and most of the mentors had also perished in the attack.

The students arriving now were younger. I towered above most of the guys, and at nineteen years old, I knew I had a few years on most of them as well. Seeing them scurry through the Academy in pairs only served to remind me that Hanai wasn't at my side. So I strode through the Academy alone, avoiding the fearful stares, hurrying to my new mentor's office.

The door was ajar, so I pounded three times and leaned into the room. "Hello? Airmaster Rusk?"

A billowy man entered from the balcony. He stood at least six feet tall, maybe more, and his limbs were long and spindly.

"Adam Gillman," he said, his voice as smooth as cream. He grinned, a gesture that matched the warmth in his tone. "Come in, come in." He sent a chair toward me with a blast of air. I barely had time to catch it before it could nail me in the midsection. I gripped the fabric, wondering where this guy had come from.

He settled into another chair behind his desk, his attention wandering to the window again. I sat, waiting for further instructions.

In Gregorio, I'd spent my Elemental training in the orchards, learning how to harness the air currents and spin them into usable threads of power. As the minutes stretched, I wondered what this Airmaster would teach me.

"Airmaster Rusk?" I asked.

"Please, call me Peter," he said, finally turning toward me.

"Okay," I said. "Peter. Would you...I mean, should we get started?"

"We already have." He smiled at me again, but this time I had the distinct impression that he was crazy, not welcoming.

"Um—"

"The air tells me you have had only a few months of training."

"The air tells you that?"

"You think Mother Earth doesn't know each of her Airmasters?" He shook his head. "I can see we will have to start at the beginning."

The beginning sounded like a great place to start. "Okay," I said again.

"I have also learned that though you have had very little formal training, you are quite skilled. You...." He cocked his head to the side as if listening to a secret. "Created a hurricane from only cold air currents?" He looked at me for confirmation, which I gave in the form of a nod.

I'd created that hurricane in Cornish, to save Cat. I wasn't interested in talking about it with him—or anyone.

"You can create cushions for travel, tethers to transport others...." He nodded, painting that slightly disturbing smile on his face again. "You have considerable airmaking talent." The windows behind him shook violently. He chuckled. "Okay, okay. You are one of the most talented Airmasters Tarpulin has ever seen. Or, at least, you will be when I'm finished with you."

He stood before I could make sense of his words, or ask what that gust had told him by banging into the glass.

"Let's go, Airmaster," he said, moving onto the balcony. "We will practice on the beach, where the currents are strong enough to knock a man down." He turned back and scanned me as I stood. "Well, a man of my stature. Perhaps you will be able to resist them."

He laughed again as he launched his willowy frame into the air.