Chapter Fourteen

Gabby didn't say anything back in her apartment. She sat cross-legged on the bed, watching me as I tucked my spare set of boots in my pack. I knew she had a lot on her mind, but she wasn't saying anything out loud.

"Well," I said. "I guess that's it."

"I don't see why you can't wait until the morning."

I sat on the bed with my back to her, looking into the bathroom. "If it was you out there, traveling across the open prairie, I wouldn't have wasted time to pack. Liz is our Unmanifested, and she's my friend." My throat narrowed. "If I can help her, I'm going to."

I closed my eyes in a long blink, hoping Airmaster Rusk could get his hands on some hot coffee. I'd been tired before receiving Liz's message.

I stood as Gabby scrambled toward me. I saw the fear in her eyes before she flung herself into my arms. "Don't go," she whispered.

"Everything will work out," I said, something my brother used to say to me.

"I know that, I do. It's just that I love you, and I'm so worried something will happen to you out there."

I stiffened, though I wanted to hold her forever. I pulled back so I could see her face. "Did—?"

"Yes, okay?" She laughed at the same time tears spilled from her eyes. "I love you."

Though my stomach felt twisted, a smile formed on my face. "I love you too." I kissed her, wishing she hadn't confessed her feelings for me only five minutes before I needed to leave.

Airmaster Rusk interrupted us as he rapped on the balcony door. I could barely see him because of his black robes. I pulled on my set of robes, shouldered my backpack, and kissed Gabby again.

"I'll be back soon, okay?" I wiped her tears. "I promise."

#

I sent little currents ahead of us as scouts. They returned every five minutes, bringing nothing sinister. Rusk and I soared over the land, each of us using our own cushion of air. I huddled into myself, my robe pulled as tight as possible to keep the icy air from assaulting my neck and shivering down my back.

We flew hundreds of feet above the earth so we wouldn't be detected. I could see for miles and miles, but only darkness blanketed the horizon. Not knowing what lay ahead unsettled me.

I thought of Gabby, of her glassy eyes. Of the way she pulled on her hair and lifted one hand into a farewell while trying to give me a brave smile. I heard her words over and over. Yes, okay? I love you.

By the time dawn chased away the night I'd found my center. Fear and worry wouldn't help anything, and I needed to be strong to help Liz, to get home to Gabby.

"Airmaster Gillman, I believe you are ready for this," my mentor said. He nudged his cushion closer and handed me a thick slice of dark bread. Then he produced a cup filled with coffee. It was cold, but I didn't care. I needed to be awake and alert today.

"Thank you," I said. "He will not come without a fight."

Rusk considered the sky. "No, probably not. But Rhyss has a Council, and trained sentries."

I nodded, but familiar worry gnawed at my insides. Theo could take down Councils and sentries. He had the forces of Mother Nature at his command, and he certainly knew things I didn't. He knew how to invoke fear, use his power to bind and torture. If anything, Alex only chose those Elementals who had a sinister streak.

I knew that was why she commanded Isaiah to bury the Academy during his field trials. She wanted to see if he'd do it—and if he liked it. I hadn't realized the depth of her intelligence, but I knew every one of her Councilmembers had done something as equally appalling as killing thirteen hundred innocent people—just to prove to her that they could, and would.