Chapter Thirty-Three

Start from the beginning

I fled into the flat expanse. South of the city, the plains held very little snow, but plenty of frost and ice crystals. I flinched with the cracking noises as I ran. When I looked down, I found the ground freckled with blood.

Sharp pain stabbed into my right foot. My shoeless foot. Pain flared through my leg, but I couldn't stop. Cornish still loomed behind me, and the plains offered no protection.

I hobbled now, tears coating my cheeks. After a few more minutes, I went down a slight decline, spotting a line of trees to my left. They did little to delay the wind, but I ducked behind a thick trunk, thinking I could stop for just a minute.

That minute turned into five. My right foot was a mess. Thick, dark blood pooled over the mangled flesh from toe to heel, too much to cauterize. Hating myself for being weak, hating Adam for being a sentry, I hung my head and cried, cried out every last bit of the furious storm swirling inside.

Five minutes became ten. Finally, I ripped a section of my robe into thin strips, and then a square of cloth from the bottom. I wrapped my foot twice over with the square and secured it with the strips around my toes, heel, and ankle.

I tried to stand, and if I kept my weight on my left side, I could manage a sort of hobble-step. I looked toward Cornish, but the rolling hills hid it from view. To the south, the unforgiving plains stared back. I looked up into the starry night—which was partially blocked by the tree limbs.

"Up," I whispered. The lowest branch hung above my head. I leaped, my fingertips barely brushing the rough bark. Pain exploded in my wrapped foot when I landed. Pain so severe, bright spots of fire danced before my eyes.

I ground my teeth together, and jumped again. I caught the branch this time and scrabbled with my good foot against the tree trunk.

I started to fall. But in my desperation, I held on too long. As gravity took control, my face scraped against the trunk, and the branch chafed my hands before I let go.

I landed in a heap on the cold ground, my new wounds leaking blood and sparks. I faded in and out of consciousness. At times, the biting breeze felt very real against my exposed neck and face. Other times, everything turned dark, including the pain in my foot and the throbbing in my back.

Several times I sat straight up, scrubbing my face and chest. Anything to get the unwanted touch of Felix's hands out of my skin, the wisps of his breath off my neck. I scoured my body, unthinking, irrational.

Finally, thankfully, the darkness stole me away.

#

An angry voice pierced the black drape engulfing me.

Hanai.

He touched me, running his chilly fingers over my cheeks, collarbone, and wrists. He murmured a healing chant in his native tongue.

Another set of hands probed my body, alighting on my face, my neck, my chest. Every touch hurt, no matter how light.

Shrill noise echoed around me, and I realized I was screaming. I tried to quiet my emotions, but the pain was unbearable.

"Gabby?"

Adam.

A fiery storm ignited in my blood.

"You do it," Adam said, his words growing distant.

"Gabby, you've got to calm down," Hanai said. "Hold still, honey. Can you hold still for me?"

I hadn't realized I was moving. I searched for a way to control my body, but the sheaf of darkness clouded my head.

"I'm going to give you a shot, okay? It will help with the pain. Man, she's burning up. I can barely touch her."