Chapter Twelve

"At least my father's 'lovely fire' comment makes sense now," Hanai said. "And why Adam's—"

"Shut up," Adam warned.

Still clutching the soiled T-shirt to my traitorous chest, my mind raced with how I could cover up without giving them another eyeful. I spun on the balls of my feet until I was crouching with my back to them. I started to pull the blood-soaked shirt over my head without lifting my arms too much.

"Don't Gabby," Adam said. "That's sick. Here." He retrieved my discarded sweatshirt and handed it to me over my shoulder.

I quickly put it on, picked up my knife, and stood. I took a deep breath and turned around.

Hanai and Adam both stared at me, with different expressions on their faces. Hanai's eyes blazed with anger, and Adam had a look I couldn't place. He wasn't mad, or satisfied, or anything I would've understood.

"Gabby, huh?" Hanai spat.

I blinked in response, surprised by the snap in his voice.

"She's cool," Adam said. "We just weren't sure how you'd react."

"So you lied."

"Firemakers aren't supposed to be girls," I said, hating the weakness in my words.

"Councilmen—or women—aren't supposed to lie to their Council." Hanai took a step forward. His eyes never left mine.

I wanted to tell him where to get off, but I thought he might rip me limb from limb. "We should've told you sooner."

"Yeah, you should've. Did you think I'd never find out?"

"We wanted to tell you last night, but Gabby was just too tired." The lie rolled smoothly off Adam's tongue. It sounded so true.

"You guys slept together," Hanai said. He looked half hopeful, half shocked.

"No, we didn't," I said a little too loud.

Adam grinned and clapped Hanai on the shoulder. "Don't worry, man. You can sleep with her tonight. I've already warned you about how clumsy she is. Talks in her sleep too."

"Infernos." I turned and stomped through the trees.

"Let her go," I heard Adam say. "You and I need to talk."

#

I located the smoke and purposefully turned away from the Outcast settlement. I didn't want to hear theirUnmanifested conversation about my girliness. Surely that's what Adam would lecture Hanai about.

She's really not that bad. It's okay she's a girl.

Or maybe, She's not like other girls. Sure, she knows nothing and well, hasn't been trained, but I think we should stick with her.

Like Hanai would believe him.

I suddenly felt like I should stop. I silenced the imaginary conversation so I could listen to the forest. I looked up and then down. After a fifteen-foot drop, the forest floor continued unbroken. I scurried down the embankment and stood in front of a square door.

The earth had buried a building.

I bent over and brushed away the leaves at my feet. Cement.

The door felt like metal. When I lifted it, a loud squeal came from the moving parts, and rotting splinters fell from the wooden beams above. A horrible smell of decay burst from the garage. Boxes littered the left side. Darkness filled the remaining space.

I charred the cement at my feet. Some of the leaves caught the fire. I let them burn, inhaling the smoke. Now I'd be able to find my way back, preferably with Adam and Hanai. They were probably wondering where I was, but as I turned to leave, something glinted in the corner. A doorknob.

I crossed the garage and examined the door. Material: Pine. Status: Stuck.

I twisted the knob and leaned my whole weight into the door. It swung open with a deafening screech. A damp, moldy smell emanated from the dark hallway.

I lit both hands and threw a ball of flames down the corridor. I may not have had formal training, but I knew enough to check for danger before entering an unknown area.

I saw crumbling walls, a low ceiling, and more debris on the floor. No bones, no bodies, no traps. I pulled the flames back to my body before they made friends with the walls and ignited into a lasting relationship.

I stepped into the hall, holding my hands out for light. Whoever had lived here had left in a hurry. Family pictures still hung on the walls. Some of them had a glass covering, the portraits obscured by decades of grime. White plaster littered the carpeted floor. This dwelling was ancient. See, carpet had been discontinued immediately following the Manifestation. Too flammable.

The hallway turned left before ending in a small room with a single bed, a cushy chair, and a sink in the corner. Another door led from the room, but when I opened it, I found the ceiling had collapsed, filling the space with soil and rocks.

I turned back to the bedroom. By the faint glow of my hands, I searched the three cupboards surrounding the sink. A few cans of food stood on the shelves. A couple boxes too. I pulled it all out and set it on the counter. We could come get it later.

Dirt disfigured the bedspread. The chair had once been blue. When I touched the crusty upholstery, dust filled the air. I coughed before I noticed another door behind the chair.

Several coats hung in the closet. When I pushed them aside, my hand brushed something silky. Sparkly things glittered on the navy blue fabric. But the top part of the dress was missing. Thin straps connected the front panel to the back, just like my camisole.

Next to the dress hung an assortment of T-shirts. Several pairs of boots lay scattered on the floor. I had the sudden thought that perhaps this place shouldn't be disturbed, so I turned to leave empty handed.

I had just pulled down the garage door when I heard voices.