Chapter Nineteen

"We can't outrun them," I panted. "And we've gotta change our clothes, and—"

"Psst," someone hissed from the shadows across the alley. "Get in here."

I didn't recognize the hushed voice, and the way Cat whimpered indicated she didn't either. I edged a little further behind the dumpster, hardly shielding her with my skinny frame.

"Hurry up, Gabbers."

Severe relief pulled through me as I stood and took Cat with me as I darted across the alley and into a dark doorway. I squeezed my eyes shut, blanketing my senses in absolute blackness. A faint humming filled my head as my therma-vision clicked on. I opened my eyes and saw Isaiah leaning against the doorframe. "Isaiah!" I threw my arms around him and held on tight.

"Hmm, you're warm," he whispered. "Who's with you?"

I stepped back. "I found—"

"Isaiah." Cat's voice only shook on the first syllable.

"Cattails," he breathed. He swept her off her feet, his strong arms engulfing her petite frame.

As I watched him carefully touch her face, feeling every tiny crease, an ember of loneliness swelled inside. He handled her with such gentleness. It made me smile and long for that sweet touch. Educator Graham used to touch my hand that way. I missed her now, as deeply as I ever had.

"Come on, Hanai is upstairs," Isaiah said. "He sent me down when he felt your soul. Said you were scared. He's still not doing so great." He kept hold of Cat and brought her along behind him. A dilapidated room with upturned tables and chairs loomed before me, all in shades of gray. Somehow Isaiah navigated through the mess without stumbling, heading for the stairs behind the bar.

"Where's Adam?" I asked as we climbed the stairs.

Isaiah hesitated for a half-beat. "He's not here."

"Not here?" I echoed, my voice sounding as strange as my head felt. This couldn't be happening. I had just found Cat, just completed our Council.

"Hanai slept all day, and I didn't dare leave him to find you or Adam."

I shuffled down a hallway, unseeing and working hard to keep breathing. Adam was gone. Gone. Not here. In the room, a weak fire burned in the corner with Hanai lying close to the flames.

Isaiah helped Cat to a warm spot by the fire, where she handed him her tokens. "These will get us food. Gabby has some too."

He took her tokens and collected mine from me. "Where?"

As Cat explained how to find the ration stands, I knelt next to Hanai. I felt strangely protective of him. At the same time, I wanted him to protect me, wrap me in his arms and whisper assurances that we'd be able to charter, that he'd never leave me. Surprised by the strength of my feelings for him, I put a little distance between us.

After Isaiah left, I opened a can of stew, infused it with heat, and forced Cat to eat. She seemed weaker in the firelight. Exhausted. Hanai didn't look so healthy either. I worried about Cat, but I felt true fear about losing Hanai. For some reason, I couldn't stomach the thought of being without him.

"Lay down with him," I told Cat. She didn't protest. She slid under the cloak and closed her eyes.

With both of them asleep, I felt very alone. The weight of the situation pressed in on me, stealing my ability to breathe. My heart squeezed, squeezed to get the blood to my fingertips.

My stomach growled, and I opened the second to last can of stew. Isaiah could eat the rations he brought back. I finished my meal and leaned against the wall.

My only thought: [ ]